1969 Harmony H162 000-Size Guitar

Harmony H162 models are everywhere. At least, when I used to be buying a lot, they seem like they're tucked in about half the closets in the world. I stopped buying them pretty early-on, though, because so many of them wound-up having warped or twisted necks that made a board plane and refret a must to get them playing well... plus a neck reset and bridge work. That's just... a lot of labor for a $300 guitar.

This one was brought to me by a fella getting it fixed for his bandmate. I was at first a little leery until I saw it was a later version with a truss rod. Unfortunately, someone snapped the truss rod's threaded end and nut right off. Fortunately, at tension, the neck is still straight -- so that seized-up rod is still functioning, at least, as a non-adjustable truss. That's still useful!

Work included the usual -- a neck reset, fret level/dress, side dots added, and a saddle slot recut plus oversize ebony saddle install (to correct intonation). It's now playing fast and easy and is good to go. It'll get a K&K pickup before it leaves, but I just wanted to share because... this thing sounds so good. Most H162s do not do what this one does. It's a winner -- though I don't know if I can ever feel quite at home on the 25 1/8" Harmony scale or with its chunky "medium-hefty" neck profile.

Build-wise it's got solid spruce (ladder-braced) in the top, solid mahogany back and sides, a poplar neck, and rosewood board and bridge. It's original save the bridge pins (my own replacements), saddle, and truss rod cover (one I cut from an old pickguard for fun).












Comments

AlexRom12 said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
AlexRom12 said…
There's a special charm to vintage acoustic instruments that modern factory models just can't replicate, especially when it comes to that warm, aged tone. A few weeks ago, I was practicing an acoustic piece with my wireless earbuds to hear the backing track, but had connection trouble and needed the raycon phone number to fix it. Once everything was working, spending time with a well-crafted instrument really reminded me how much character and history these classic guitars carry.