c.1907 Washburn Model 227 Part 2


And here's the turnaround! A little research and I found out the appointments and size make this a model 227, though the herringbone inlay is red, white, and green as opposed to red, white, and blue! She's looking good!


Ah, to be free of paint splatter and grime!


Cleaning and conditioning has really brought out the inlay as well.


Their warranty. Interestingly enough, though you'll often see these guitars strung with light or extra-light steel these days (as seen here), the Washburn warranty was void if one were to use steel strings after purchase. These were designed for gut which was still by far more popular at the time. Martin didn't make wide use of steel-designed guitars until the 20s. I'm thinking I may swap out for some nylguts before I sell this guitar as I prefer historical accuracy. I also think that the guitar will sound super with them... and feel better, too.


Brand burned on the center strip. Here you can see that lovely solid rosewood for the back.


Isn't that gorgeous? Think about how far up the ladder you'd have to go to play a guitar of this quality these days. Sheesh!


And I can't argue with engraved pearl inlay, no sir, not at all!


Or the attractive ebony board.


Or the nice thin, long slotted headstock! Bone nut, of course.


And apparently, originally this would have had bone pins. That's a bone saddle, original, on an ebony bridge that was "repaired" at some point in time. Still structurally quite viable.


Back.


Tuners function perfectly with (bone? possibly ivoroid, but I think bone) buttons.


Nice mahogany neck is very thin and modern-feeling, albeit with a V-shape.


Rosewood back is great!


And there's the strip down the center.


Finish is in pretty good shape, too, for having been through hell.


You can see the rosewood glows nicely.


Lots of strum wear on the top -- but not to the detriment of the guitar.


Here you can see where the non-original tailpiece had been (long since gone when I got it). I've filled the screw holes.


My, my!


Action is 1/8"-3/16" at the 12th -- quite comfortable with extra-lights at pitch, and offering good intonation, too. This would be absolutely perfect for gut/nylgut, so I'm assuming the guitar has not settled in very much from its factory days. The soundboard is absolutely flat!


Tuners again, showing their lived-in side.

Comments

Jack Rusher said…
Do you still have this one? Once strung with nyguts, it's exactly the guitar I need for the pre-1915 New Orleans jass project with which I've been playing.