c.1930s/1940s Kay 5-String Banjo


This banjo's not anything special, but it is a good rugged player. At some point it was stripped and left with its tarnished and rusting hardware to rot, but since I've received it into my care I've polished all the hardware, cleaned the girl up, and rubbed in a light coat of varnish to seal the particularly nice maple pot and neck. And of course, after that, a new bridge and setup!


Typical Kay (prev. Stromberg-Voisinet) style headstock from the 30s or 40s. This banjo's tuners are all-original and feature metal buttons -- which is nice because you don't have to worry about them crumbling with age!


The fretboard is actually dyed birdseye maple, of all the woods it could be! It's got pearl dots, too. The frets on this are actually "bar" frets, which (I think) points this out as a '30s 'jo.


Original skin head -- the only new hardware on this is the bridge, which is a newer Grover maple/ebony type. The original bridge was a two-foot maple Grover from the same period, but it had begun to sag.


Simple tailpiece.


Side view -- this photo has the most accurate colors in it. This banjo has a very long scale length: 27 1/4" -- feels almost like you're playing a Pete Seeger style 'jo.


Nice birdseye veneer on the pot -- and as you can see -- the hardware cleaned up nicely. It was pretty grim when it came in -- but I love seeing clean parts in the end! Notice also that I've installed some new washers between the shoes and the rim to help spread wear more evenly and prevent further deterioration of the rim.



More rim detail.


Under the hood. Simple rod setup.


Back view.


Headstock rear. Original tuners.


Maple neck is plenty sturdy and looks quite nice, too.


Nice and elegantly simple!


And the other end... notice that this rim is simple shaped round where the head rests on it -- this is a traditional style that yields a warm, woody tone. Simply using a small router to make a channel for a steel hoop would give this thing the ability to have a simple tonering which would brighten (and louden) up the tone, if desired.


Long shot.


Tailpiece -- non-adjustable, but it works.


And the coolest feature? Adjustable neck angle simply by loosening the bolt, positioning, and tightening again. So, so, so, so, so easy it's painful. I'm surprised no one builds this in as a standard feature on modern banjos.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You've got a great looking banjo there. I recently bought one of a similar vintage, and I thought it might be a Kay (there are no markings to say so), but it has the exact same hardware, tuners, truss rod and neck adjustment system as your instrument. The only differences are that my banjo has a different headstock and it has 38 hooks holding down the head. It too has a nice woody, mellow tone. I paid $400 for mine in early 2009 from Bedford Banjo Shop, Bedford,d PA.

And I really, really enjoy listening to you sing and play on the YouTube postings!
Anonymous said…
This piece is probably a little bit older than you think. I have a tenor guitar that was made by S-V for a music store that existed in the 1920's in my area but has long since gone away. The seller assured me it was dated approx. 1928 and it has the same headstock. S-V would become Kay approx. 1931 and they would change their headstock design not long after. It continued for a while on the Kay Kraft Venetians, Key Chord instruments, banjos and mandolins but by the 40's the offset design had been retired. Banjos, mandos, and tenors had a similar, but symmetrical design after that and guitars went to a larger, squarer headstock.
Anonymous said…
price?
Unknown said…
Wow it's a beautiful banjo, I have one similar to this but it has looks like older tuners and it has hey written like almost looks like a black mark or somebody can read it but it's really cool and I've never seen anything written with that on it. Anywho I like to know


Bob said…
Hey, Jake, guess what I found down here in the Blue Ridge? Artist friend offered me her "old banjo" because she needed money and had never learned to play. In storage, head split from heat & dryness, so she'd had it replaced years ago. Whoever worked on it did a pretty bad job; even the bridge was in the wrong place when she showed it to me. Maybe he didn't realize the neck was long. I got the intonation right, recognized the headstock as Kay/S-V and came here to see if you'd ever had one like it. Found this post. Felt proud of myself when I saw your reference to the neck length. Took a good look at the pictures. Conclusion- it's not just the same model. It's the same banjo, almost 15 years and at least a couple of owners later!
It'll be in the trunk if I ever get up to Vermont. 😀