c.1920 Slingerland MayBell Banjo Ukulele


Here's a cool c.1925-1930 Slingerland-made "May-Bell" banjo uke. This fits the bill for a typical Slingerland style banjolele, except that the scale length is extra long (14" like a concert scale instrument) which places the bridge a little lower on the head than usual... and speaking of the head, it's brand spankin' new, as is the bridge, but otherwise this is 100% original. I saved the bulk of the old head to go with it for memory's sake, though, as it was full of signatures from the early and mid 1920s.


"MayBell" is stamped in the headstock.


Polished up frets.


New head.


Rim. Nice thick rim with big old round-bar tonering gives it plenty of pop.


Original pegs.


...


Back with shaped resonator.


Pegs.


Tailpiece. Simple but effective. This would make a nice 4-string banjo mandolin, too, especially with the bluegrassy 14" scale (as opposed to the usual-for-the-period 13 1/8").

Comments

Snaggle Tooth said…
OK, you just answered a question I've had for ages about my self-named "banjolin" which has the 4 strings. In the '80s a neighbor gave it to me. (the skin head is painted gold) I was unaware until this year it may actually be a ukulele.
I recently wrote a uke tune with out the intstrument too!

It must be aggrivating to you I don't know mty brands, n they are too packed away to check!
Now I want to measure it...