c.1930 Regal Carved-Top Reverse Florentine Mandolin


Now this mandolin is the bee's knees. I bought it from all-around great-guy sculptor Jim Sardonis over in Randolph, VT, off of eBay. When I bought it, I didn't realize he was so close by, but hopped in my car the next day and went off to retrieve it. Several conversations later, and after a viewing of his tour-de-force collection (he has an extraordinary Vega cylinder-back mandolin and a delicious pre-war Martin 00 that sounds simply awesome) he sent me on my way and I returned home to gawk over it (and begin repairs).

I've only seen one more of these -- once when I was 18 and visiting Mystic Seaport with my folks. One of the period-attired fellows near a fishing schooner was playing one. I'd never seen one since but I was darned sure I'd love to find another.

At any rate, I finally have, and after restoration (which included neck heel crack repair, neck reset, and thorough setup) it's a beautiful player with a tone and feel that recalls Gibson Fs with perhaps a bit more grumble and rumble. It also looks totally cool.


Simple headstock with 30s Kluson tuners. Bone nut.


Body is bound front and back with side reinforcement at the cutaways. Top is hand-carved high-quality spruce and the back and sides are solid curly and birdseyed maple.


Fretboard looks like what was once ebonized maple or pearwood. MOP dots.


Soundhole. Original pickguard, with some pickwear on the bass side, of course!


...but aside from a few use-scuffs and light scratches, it's in superb shape. The finish is great.


Adjustable bridge is original, though I've recut the top of it to give compensation. Those black things are rubber grommets to mute the extra string length, though it sounds great either way.


Back.


Original Kluson tuners.


Seeing as there was a crack to fix anyhow I felt no sadness in installing a strap button to make my life easier.


Back.


Closeup of the purty maple.


Side.


Detail.


Other side.


Detail.


Reverse-scroll detail.


And typical period tailpiece with cover... like it!


This was the Montgomery Wards ad that was included in the case.


And the owner apparently marked it. This reads: "Hand carved top for fuller and more beautiful tone..." etc.

I'm pretty sure this was a Regal build, but of course one can never be sure. It's a heck of a lot classier than the typical low-grade reverse-scroll mandos that were flattop instruments with (often) birch all over.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love those reverse scrolls. Nice sunburst on that one too.
Nick R said…
Coming late to comment. Those Kluson tuners were introduced in 1936 while the Wards relationship with Regal probably began to become huge in 1939/40 when the deal with Gibson came to and end. I think this would be from the very late 30s. In fact, Wards usually at this time stamped in a month and the year.