c.1920 Supertone "Ragtime King" 5-String Banjo (another one!)


Yes, here's another Lange-built Supertone from the 1920s. This one has the earlier, thinner-profile neck that gives it quick playability. It's all-original save a later Grover Presto tailpiece (c.1930s?), new bridge, and new tuner pegs. There also might be one replacement hook somewhere on there.


Very nicely played-in original skin head!


"Ebonized" fretboard with MOP dots and nickel-silver frets.


Nice star inlay on the headstock.


Pot hardware polished up a bit here and there but there's still a bunch of tarnish... old parts, you know.


...


These are attractively-proportioned banjos and have that ideal old-time feel to them. Lightweight -- with warm, smooth plunky tone to boot.


New pegs.


Neck looks like cherry?


Ebonized heel cap.


Rim is spunover on the bottom and not spunover on the top. The head rests right on the wood of the rim.


Supertone (Sears catalog) label.


Original ebony shims for the neck brace.


Presto tailpiece.


Rim detail.

Comments

TonyS said…
I have a 1915-20 Supertone Amature - great condition -just was wondering approx price? Thanks - I'm also on Banjo Hangout
ts-cg@hotmail.com

love them old 'jos!!
Anonymous said…
I have a Supertone I just bought. I tried your email address and it won't go. Mine looks almost just like this Ragtime King you have here. Can you contact me so I can send you some pics. Hopefully you can identify this for me. It has a label inside but I can't quite make out the style. It was in bad shape when I got it.
bearsister@yahoo.com

Thanks...