c.1920 Unmarked Super Golden Koa Ukulele


This golden child -- golden Hawaiian koa, that is -- soprano uke is a lovely little thing. Rope bound top, and back with inlaid rope down the neck and also used for the rosette. On top of that it's entirely made from solid beautifully-grained koa. What more?

Oh, right, it plays great and sounds great, too.

This uke was traded in to me recently and is in fantastic shape -- no cracks at all, original everywhere save the (obviously replaced) 1960/70s tuners. All I did to it was reglue a loose brace, and since these photos, I've popped on some Aquila nylguts which has really added to it.


While the maker is unknown, the heel style appears to be Spanish-style, which points to Hawaiian make, though it's possible that it's a dovetail joint covered up with a back that gives it the impression of Spanish-style... in which case I'd say it points to New Jersey and Oscar Schmidt. In fact, I'd almost guess that because the kerfing is square-cut, too... except for the fact that the wood is so nice and most koa Schmidts had a darker stain.



Really gorgeous, precise craftsmanship. This thing goes for 100% with its looks.




Purty purty purty.






Moderately curly koa throughout, too.





Ain't that koa fabulous?


And a really nice end-pin area.

Comments

Josh said…
Mmm, mmm. That is so pretty I feel sad that I can't put my hands on it. Thanks as always for sharing this sort of beauty with us.