c.1920 Oscar Schmidt Fancy Ukulele


Lovely uke. This is the second time I've worked on this specific model of uke. Click here for the other time. Both are nice, bright, sweet little ukes and feel cozy in the hands. I especially like this one tuned up to ADF#B, which happened to be the popular tuning of the day as opposed to our lower GCEA used mostly now. I know OS had that tuning in mind, too, because I've worked on a couple of student ukes from the period that had fretboard charts glued onto them with the ADF#B tuning going up the neck.

At any rate, ADF#B gives a sparklier, more strident tone, and is delicious for strumming. It also means more tension is put on the top plate... and guess what? OS built these with an extra brace running under the bridge. Hmm -- wonder why? So there's my musical archaeology for you.


At any rate, this uke sports solid koa everywhere save a rosewood fretboard. It has its original wood friction pegs, too.


I have to admit... I added the MOP inlay on a whim. With such a nice fretboard it seemed necessary... jazz tunes become easier...



Bridge is a replacement, but 1930s, one. I scrounged it from my parts bin and it was the perfect height and size so... bingo!


Rope binding around soundhole and top edge and also inlaid as a backstrip down the back.



Really a looker!











End seam.

Comments