c.1925 Lyon & Healy Camp Uke

I've worked on a few of these Camp Ukes, the last one can be seen here. I'm always constantly surprised by how much volume and poppy, full tone comes out of these guys. While they're Lyon & Healy's attempt to make a good, sturdy, entry/mid-grade take-anywhere instrument, they sound easily as good as many of their high-end ukes. And fret access? Hello!

They're made from solid nyssa (black gum/tupelo) wood, which has a tendency to generate hairline cracks in dryness (I don't think I've worked on any of these ukes without hairlines in them). I've glued up and cleated a bunch on the top of this fellow, and have also reset the neck, given it a fret dress, setup, etc...


Such a fun and freespirited look to these guys. The only binding is thin black celluloid along the top edge.


"Camp Uke" on the headstock.


Black celluloid inlaid markers.


Patent Applied For bridge.





Ah, and here's the coolest thing about these Camp Ukes... that back is a solid, thicker, one-piece banjo-style resonator (turned) backplate. I think this is where the oomph and projection Camp Ukes get comes from. A nice solid hardwood slab must do wonders to push that sound forward.


Original L&H patent bakelite-buttoned tuners. These survive much better than their contemporary mass-market tuner brethren.





One-piece side, too!

Comments

I love my little Camp Ukulele. I have been an Ocarina Maker for 35 years. I am astounded how this little thing resonates. I have only been playing for 4 months, have collected 5 vintage ukuleles and a Ubass. I am HOOKED, line by sinker.

Thank you for your informative post.
I love my Camp Ukulele MOST!

Sandi
www.clayz.com
Unknown said…
Hi I'm going to try and send a picture of this really old Uke I haven't seen anything like it and I've been scanning the internet it's a four string it's a little over 2 feet maybe to 2 1/3 feet total length its marked Robert E p e u r s o n
Unknown said…
Hi I'm going to try and send a picture of this really old Uke I haven't seen anything like it and I've been scanning the internet it's a four string it's a little over 2 feet maybe to 2 1/3 feet total length its marked Robert E p e u r s o n