c.1950 Orpheum by Kay 000 Guitar



Update 2012: Originally I labeled this as a dreadnought guitar. As a fellow player pointed out, it really is more of a 000 guitar considering the tighter waist, even with the square shoulders.

Totally cool guitar. Long 25 3/4" scale, solid mahogany back and sides (one piece back) and neck, tortoise binding everywhere including the fretboard... which is rosewood... and a rosewood bridge... and did I mention the sound? Big, bright, and full. Great old-timey ladder-braced rumble and super projection. This would make a great blues, bluegrass, or fingerpicking instrument.

Work included... bridge shave and reglue, cleaning, fret dress, setup, etc. The tuners on it may change to some Klusons before I let it leave the roost, but I wanted to get some photos of this since it's so fun.



Original bone nut. "Orpheum" in name only -- this was made by Kay. Here's another one, but in Hawaiian square neck fashion.


Nice big frets on a rosewood board with a thinner side to side profile gives this a much more modern feel.


The bolt holes covered by MOP near the pins are simply filled holes, but I re-installed the original bridge bolts in the wings when I reglued the bridge and then covered them over with MOP. Insurance?


Love the flashy flamey tortoise all over. Really fun stage guitar! I'd love to hear this with a Baggs M1 in the soundhole.




Solid one-piece mahogany back. Did I mention there's only one 1.5" hairline (repaired) crack on the whole guitar? And it's hiding in the middle of the back.










Nice purfling, too.

Comments

D. Ward said…
"Of note"? Ah that's rich.

Funny you don't have more comments; your blog is pretty neat. Well, don't fret about it! I'm sure more people are reading it than commenting.
D Ward: Thanks! And there certainly are a LOT of people reading it thank goodness... I get far more emails than I can reply to most of the time. :D