c.1950 Kay Jumbo J-200 Style Guitar


I posted about this guitar previously, but I've been using it in my personal collection off and on for recording and other pursuits, so it's had a little time to settle. Previously I had a bone saddle installed but just recently I did a bit of work to it and installed a vintage adjustable saddle in it so that it'd be easier to setup when changing strings... and oh my! The sound actually improved dramatically -- cleaner treble and more focused bass. It's a little wider (1/2" wider) than a Gibson J-200, but it really does have that big old tone I associate with them... and the "original" style long scale, at 26" -- which means you can set this up as a baritone guitar if you like, in the BEADF#B range.


Guitar has an entirely new bridge and has been black-topped because the top had been hastily and poorly refinished. This is an india-ink based stain, which gives it a more natural look than say... paint.



Forgot to mention -- I also managed to scrounge up some old Kluson tuners which I re-buttoned, which totally look the part.


Bound ebony fretboard with giant real MOP markers. Action's low, frets are freshly dressed.




The guitar itself had a pretty ragged life beforehand, but it's loving being back in the action.



Tonewoods are... a nice x-braced solid spruce top, probably laminate flamed maple back and sides, and a 5-piece hard maple/rosewood(?) neck. It's perfectly straight, too, which is fantastic as a lot of these old Kay jumbos have really messed up necks from years and years of loads of tension.


Cool old Klusons.



The trim is pretty nice, too... fancier binding on both top and back.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Is there a Bridge Doctor installed on this guitar? There's a MOP dot in the middle of the bridge, which is the reason I'm asking.

I play left-handed and would love to find a flattop like this.
Hi there: no bridge doctor, but the MOP is over bolts installed with washers -- the original bridge footprint had three of them installed so I did the same when I glued the new bridge.

This guitar is fantastic -- but unfortunately setup as a righty.
Anonymous said…
If there are no tone bars, converting a guitar like this one is usually pretty easy; install a new nut, fill in the saddle slot in the bridge and cut another one, slanted the opposite way. I don't know anything about adjustable bridges, though. Could one perform similar surgery on this old Kay?