c.1935 Regal-made A-style Archtop Mandolin




Update 2014: I've updated this entire blog post.

I worked on this mandolin back in 2011 and since then it's been serving its new owner well. Recently he upgraded and so now it's back here for resale. I remember when I first worked on it that it had already had a neck reset (slightly sloppy but serviceable) and there was a back brace missing. I didn't replace the back brace but I did do a fret level/dress, cleaning, maybe a seam repair or something like that, and full setup. While it's been in its new owner's care it's had that missing back brace replaced and it came back to me in perfectly-good order.

This instrument has a press-arched solid spruce top, maple neck, and perhaps birch back/sides. The fretboard is also dyed maple and the bridge is an adjustable rosewood unit. Aside from a tiny hairline crack (stable) from its old pickguard-mounting tiny screw (on the top to the treble side of the fretboard) it's crack free, too. The bracing is ladder-style and as a result this has a gutsy, big, warm sort of sound which is unusual for an arched-top instrument. It's also a bit deeper and wider than other arched-top instruments which contributes to its power.



Ebony nut, original tiny-button tuners.





The original finish is all in pretty good shape, too, with only a bit of usual use-wear throughout.




When the back brace was replaced by a different repairman, he/she reattached the back with a couple of locator pins (note the dots below the neck joint and at the endblock area).



Note the usual weather-check to the finish.




Comments

Properzia D. said…
How would this instrument compare with the Samick you describe elsewhere on your website? I have a similar Samick (the tag has disappeared but I'm pretty sure it's the same), am an amateur player and would like to buy another moderate price instrument. (Also I like my Samick)
Thanks.
Nick R said…
I have just bought one of these Regal made archtop mandolins on ebay- it was quite battered and the back was coming away at the heel- with other assorted cracks, dings and wear and tear. It has a WARDS label inside- and I reckon your example was sold by Wards too.
I was going to give it a big swerve- but apart from not having the cloud tailpiece cover I decided that I might be able to repair it myself- not dump it on my long-suffering luthier. The mandolin was not strung up- the original bridge was taped to the top- rather precariously. Anyway, like an idiot I bought it- and what with shipping and an outrageous charge for customs, the whole cost of the enterprise escalated to a mere three times the auction price- I was the only bidder.
Anyway, the faux finish on the back that looks like birch or possibly maple is over a mahogany back on mine- as I stripped back some horribly bubbled and messed up finish from an ugly neck reset ( the excess glue had done this to the finish) and I have glued it up. Sadly, having got it ready to play, the story takes a turn for the worse as when it finally arrived- having been released by the bandits with their extortionate charges after two customs inspections according to the tracking, the bridge had vanished- the mandolin was in a plastic bag under all the packing and I could see it- and the tape but no bridge attached to it- a real bummer.
Well, according to the seller they have video footage of the mandolin and bridge going into the bag. The logical explanation is that some paranormal activity has dematerialised the bridge between the USA and the UK. That's really quite something- I want a still photo from that video- I used to work in the media and I am quite sure this will be a news sensation. Meanwhile, I do not have anything remotely suitable to use as a bridge on this instrument- I will have to buy some Far Eastern bridge and get it adapted to fit the top!
I am going to give up buying on eBay- too many extra costs now and the occasional major disappointment. Sorry for this lengthy post, Jake- but I am sure my Regal/Wards mandolin- like this one featured will sound great, too- some day!