c.1925 Lyon & Healy "American Conservatory" Concert Banjo Ukulele





While I've worked on a number of similar Lyon & Healy concert banjo ukes (15 3/4 scale) of lesser grade, this is only the second one of these I've ever seen (and also the 2nd one I've worked on). It's a nice-quality, solid mahogany-necked instrument, with a good strong multi-ply rim (no tonering), quality fittings and finishing work, and a great sound.

My work included mounting a new (vintage Jos Rogers, from my parts bin) skin head, cleaning, a fret level/dress, new bridge, and setup. I also replaced one missing hook/nut with an old one from my parts stash as well.


I love re-using bigger old (torn) skin heads when I need to mount a new head on a banjo uke. It lets me retain the antique look and often the old skins are of a better quality than what's newly available.

Note that this has an 8" rim.


Original bone nut, cute L&H headstock inlaid "diamond" in a dyed-black headstock veneer.


Fretboard looks like dyed pearwood. MOP dots, nickel-silver (original) frets.


I cut down a 5/8" banjo bridge to 1/2" which let me go all-maple with a 3-foot design (better for synthetic strings). The current strings are Worth browns with a low G. This gives the instrument a nice full sound.


Check out the pretty "pinstripe" inlaid lines on the rim's side -- also the purty mahogany and multi-layer heel cap.




The neck is quick and fast with a v-shape. These patent L&H tuners are great as far as friction pegs go and have ivoroid buttons.



This bolted-on resonator (remove one bolt and it's off) is actually all brass with a strange embossed enameled (?) covering on its rear that's of course started to wear off. Very cool, and really gives the instrument a nice punch and warm clarity when it's on.


Note the 3-piece design of the neck for strength.




Tailpiece allows ball-end, knotted-end, or loop-end strings. This instrument could also be used with steel if the owner desired.


...and here's with the resonator off.



The resonator's attachment post is covering the "American Conservatory" insignia.


I can't tell if this number (535) is the model number or if the one below it (500) is. Either way, that's a good sturdy and easily-adjustable neck brace.


There's the Jos Rogers stamp on the back of the old skin head.

Comments

Josh said…
Hi Jake! One of my neigbors just showed up with exactly this instrument. The enameled brass back is in rather better condition than this one -- only worn off in one place. He was pleased when I tried playing it -- he said he hadn't heard it played in 60 years. (It was his aunt's.) I'm looking forward to restringing it and showing him what it really can do.