c.1950 Lignatone (Czech-made) 4/4 Violin


Dubiously modeled on a 1713 Strad, this Lignatone (Czech-made) violin is full-size, sports solid wood throughout (spruce over maple), has an ebony fingerboard, tailpiece, and pegs, and is the perfect beginner's instrument. It intones easily, has a clear (though not very loud) and transparent sound (not lush on the bottom end, but not piercing or shrill on the high), and is super clean for its age.

Lignatone instruments were actually built in a Czech wooden toy factory, which gives them sort of a funky charming back-story all their own.

Everything appears mostly original on the instrument, though the tailpiece and bridge are probably replacements. The bridge feet are pretty interesting, too, and the pegs are nicely fitted for a student instrument.



No cracks, no bad finish, just slight use-wear here and there -- pretty clean!

I had to slightly adjust the bridge and nut but they were pretty close to begin with. The tailpiece is missing its "saddle" but it's still quite serviceable.

The strings are a new set of John Pearse Mezzos... they give a good "Thomastik Dominant" sort of gut-sy tone. I use them on my own instruments for the most part, as well, since they're a good starting place to chase tone from.




As you can see, the maple is nothing fancy but it does have some flame here and there.








Good over-tailpiece chinrest. The "tailgut" is nylon as well, so it's durable.


Here's the label.


...and hard case with decent bow. There's old rosin in the case pocket, as well.

Comments

Paulandre said…
Hello, I have one violin from same label and I am trying finding when it was acquired by my father, who died, so I'm looking for clues! Is there a períod of time to check when they were made? Thnaks
Paulandre said…
Hello, I have one violin from same label and I am trying finding when it was acquired by my father, who died, so I'm looking for clues! Is there a períod of time to check when they were made? Thnaks
Unknown said…
With the explanation and photos of this violin, how much is an estimate value? I have this identical one that was willed to me byba neighbor. Thanks! Thomas Davidson
Unknown said…
With the explanation and photos of this violin, how much is an estimate value? I have this identical one that was willed to me byba neighbor. Thanks! Thomas Davidson