1981 Daion Mugen Mark I Dreadnought Guitar




I worked on a 1980 Mugen back in 2011 and later traded-on that one to a friend of mine who's a Daion fiend. He's been using that guitar a lot ever since and found the Mugen in this post shortly after getting that one from me. This second Mugen has been kicking around his collection and finally made its way over here for a K&K pickup install and a good setup.

It's a good guitar! Of course, I expected as much, but couldn't quite tell when it had a leaned-over saddle, spotty setup, and dead strings. Daions were made in Japan (via Yamaki) and after they've been setup decently, I've liked every one I've handled. They're simply well-made, practical guitars, and tend to not have wear-and-tear issues. They're stable. The Mugen Mark Is were sort-of their entry dreadnought acoustic but are quite above-average for an entry guitar. They're every bit as good as entry-level American makes from the time, or better.



This guitar has a solid cedar top with laminate (rosewood?) back and sides. The neck is mahogany and it has a bound rosewood fretboard and rosewood bridge. Everything on this is original save some new bridge pins and a replacement older saddle.

The 1980 Daion had a bigger, warmer sound than this one but I also think that's because it had been played a lot more which tends to do that. The sound is good on this guy but it's certainly more crisp and clear... like a fresh D-18 but with maybe a bit less tub on the bass.




The rosewood pickguard is cute, huh?


The old bridge pins needed serious replacement: two snapped when I put new strings on! Simple cream plastic ones looked right...

I also notched the B-string slot for better intonation and extended the worn-in string ramps for better back-angle on the saddle.




I'm not fond of sealed tuners (heavy!), but these original ones work just fine so I left them in place.



Comments

Ruby Zee said…
Is this guitar still available? Or do you have any other Mugen Mark 1 or lV from 1980-1982?
mmhKoch said…
Ich habe eine Daion Mugen Mark 1 bei mir in Deutschland. In ca. 4 Wochen wird sie frei.
Unknown said…
I have one of these I've owned since I found it in a secondhand store for $100. Beautiful guitar, best deal I ever made.
Ellen said…
I bought mine at a yard sale for $10 in 1995 or thereabouts. I have better guitars — Ovation, Seagull, Yamaha — but this is an old reliable, and even though it needs new strings it still sounds good. If you have one, hang on to it!
Rosco said…
I Have a Mark 1 I got for my 21st birthday in 1983 and like a good wine it has aged beautifully, has done a lot of travelling around Australia & overseas , has been gigged,punished and only now is the nitro showing signs of peeling .I am on my 3rd pickup, have put ebony and now brass bridge pins and I still LOVE the sound and feel of this guitar!!
Chipp Tate said…
I was given a Mark I for Christmas in the early 80s after I'd owned a Martin D-35 and a Flint Hills Mossman. The Daion does not have quite the sound those did but it is very well made, it was a great deal for the price, and while I've since acquired another dreadnought for far more money, I still own the Mark I today.

Chipp
Trev said…
Ive got one of these sitting in my cupboard for the past 30 years would you have any idea what its worth?
Chipp Tate said…
I had to assign values to the equipment I own for insurance purposes a while back and gave it a replacement value of $300. I'm sure that came from searching the manufacturer and model till I ran out of results, along with not wanting to pay too much to insure it since I really don't expect to replace it if it's lost.
Trev said…
Is that US dollars? hardly worth selling if Aus $
Trev said…
Thatsa little more than I was thinking which is good ($387 Aus) but still probably not worth selling thanks
Chipp Tate said…
Trev-

Please don't attach too much importance to my opinion and how I chose to do attach a value to this guitar because that's all it is - my opinion. Please do your own search to see what you find, and remember that my decision was for insured value, not resale value. If I had to replace that guitar, I know - and in fact expect - to pay more than the insurance value to get another one, because up to a given price it would be worth than that to me.

And maybe most important, remember that my Mark I is not for sale, so it's not part of anyone's calculation for the value of yours. I wish you the best!

Chipp
Chipp Tate said…
I found the Daion Mark Series sales sheet from MCI, their American distributor today, while rummaging thru my archives. I don't see a way to imbed or attach it here but I'm sure we can figure out a way for me to get it to you if you're interested.
Jules N said…
I had one of these following the loss of of My TG 80 around 1990 - see other post on the Tama TG 80 Jake Wildwood thread. It was a great little replacement guitar at the time. Just don't ask what happened to it...