1930s Kay-made Kay Kraft Resonator Plectrum Banjo





A fellow and I did a long-distance "Kay for Kay" trade and this is what I got out of it -- a full-on Kay Kraft plectrum banjo. I see Kay Kraft tenors from time to time, but it's not often that I see a plectrum of any type from this late in the game (1930s). Being a Kay, I expected it to have a bit of funk in the build, but I didn't expect it to have such nice trim! This has a two-piece mahogany neck, thick ply-maple rim, and lots of black/white/black celluloid binding that gives it an upscale presence.

Work included a fret level/dress, a new 11" Elite Renaissance-style head, new bridge, and general setup. I have it strung DGBE using 5-string banjo "10s" minus the 5th string. The "Kay funkiness" comes along for the ride in the way the neck has a light backbow in frets 1-4 and then frets 12 and up. This means that it plays "about right" in frets 1-10 and then starts feeling a little stiff from 12 and above. Because of the backbow I can't adjust the action down to perfect 1/16" at the 12th fret because there'd be a ton of buzz in the 1-4 section. It's thus at a respectable 3/32" and for my use (chord-banging) that's "good enough for government work." It's also got a longish 27 1/4" scale length.



Kay Kraft instruments always look great, don't they?


While it looks ebony, the fretboard is actually stained maple.


You can see a bit of overtone-muting foam behind the Elite logo.





The resonator uses flamed maple veneer and one of those cool, gold-look decals borrowed from the guitar lineup.


Original Page patent geared pegs make tuning much easier than the standard-issue friction pegs.






The white/black/white celluloid binding looks pretty handsome on the resonator and fretboard edges. Note also the original side dots!

This rim has a simple hoop tonering on the top of the rim and a simple sleeve "tonering helper" on the side of the rim.




This has Kay's usual variation on the coordinator rod idea.



While the neck has an integrated angle-adjustment gizmo (see next picture), I like to set the angle and then drill and install a "set screw bolt" as well. The reason for that is that Kay's neck adjuster -- no matter how hard you set it with the giant hex bolt on the coordinator rod -- always yields a slightly-wiggly neck. I can't stand that, so I like to lock it in.


Check out the heavy cast flange! It gives the rim some definite heft.

Comments

Sir Farrow said…
I would love to just get the resonator. I have a Kay plectrum at home that needs one. I can send you pictures at the end of the month to see if it would fit.

I love your work man!
Doc said…
I would love to know how you got the Elite head on this banjo. I have the same model, in 5 string, and the lip around the head is too thick. I could not even get the first couple of hooks started. Did you have to bend the hooks? Thanks!
Jake Wildwood said…
Yep, put the hooks in the vice and give them a quick knock with a hammer to just bend the flat part of the top slightly. It only takes a small bend to get them over the newer hoops.
Mike said…
What is standard bridge hight for that. I have the exact same banjo in 5 string and the bridge has been heavily sanded on the feet. 1/2 inch Mabe??? Thanks. I know this post is old