1987 Guild JF65-12E Jumbo 12-String Flattop Guitar





The JF65-12 is a latter-era Westerly Guild version of the F412 model -- what I think of as the "most famous" big old maple Guild 12-string. This particular guitar is up to the task and sounds, well, just like a 70s F412, albeit probably a bit more stable in service as it hasn't had need of a neck reset as far as I know. The flamed maple on the back, sides, and neck looks great and the spruce top has remained crack free. The "E" designation, I'm assuming, relates to the onboard electronics.

I worked on this for a customer and it received a bunch of attention. It got a bridge reglue and slight modification to the bridge, a new compensated bone saddle, fret level/dress, replacement binding for more than half of the headstock's outline, a replacement pearl inlay (1st fret position -- one of the pearl slabs was missing), and a good setup. The owner runs the guitar tuned down a step, too, so I boosted a few of the gauges up from a standard 46w-10 "12 string light" set -- but not by much.



The headstock has 12 individual sealed mini tuners. The wound G-string tuner has a damaged threaded ferrule but it still functions. Note the lighter cream binding -- this is my replacement stuff. The job wasn't perfect but it turned out better than I expected. I had to make the new binding from 3 layers to replicate the look, more or less, of the original stuff.


The easy part, of course, was this straight section.


The hard part was the "cloud" headstock top -- which I didn't nail -- especially considering that my made-up layers were different plastics that wanted to fight one another a bit when gluing down. The original material seems to have been molded as one strip to begin with. Did I ever mention that trying to match binding drives me nuts?

It's a workmanly job that suits the workmanly abuse the guitar has had (see the cigarette burn?).


The abalone darts next to the big blocks of white pearl has always been a good look, I think.




The original bridge was still in good shape after removing it from the guitar, but the guitar's top itself was a bit curled-up under the bridge. It took some clever clamping to get it back down and flat effectively.


I still have to make a second, taller saddle for the guitar, though I'm waiting overnight to see what deflection the top adds. I've added string ramps to aid back-angle on the saddle from the farther-aft bridge pin holes and replaced a hodge-podge set of pins with new, ebony ones.





The neck maple on 80s Guilds is always first-rate. It's gorgeous stuff -- and the double truss rods in this neck have kept it straight, straight, straight.








Comments

Rob Gardner said…
Handsome guitar. I love the cigarette burn too. Can't fake that...
Unknown said…
Just found your blog. I have a JF65 Bld Electric 12 string No 650098. It is a beautiful guitar. I am putting on new strings and using it again after storage for a few years.
L6S said…
I have the same guitar in mint condition, it's a Canon and plugged in with the LR Bag PU, it's the best 12 string I've ever played.
Unknown said…
Hey thanks for posting the S/N. Been going thru SN boards looking to find mine...Looked like a 2002 because of the format and a guild manual with a Fender copyright date 2002. But the SN boards always stopped short. It was sold to me as a 1987. After more flashlight searching I found the bdate on the neck block Feb 24 1987. And thanks to your posting of the inside sticker it confirms. my S/N is 329, 108 after your repair jobs. This confirms it's an 87 but weird it has a 2002 copyright manual in it
I have a 1988 S/N 506, I believe it is'88. I can only speak in superlatives, it is wonderful and beyond. Stephen Stills tech played it and agrees. One of the most enjoyable experiences I have is to strum or fingerpick this amazing thing. Sure would like to the luthiers who spanned it, they should be congratulated. Any more info on these units would be appreciated. PVA
I made a mistake never lived in san fernando valley