Workshop: Import Banjo Turnbuckle Coordinator Rod


Many folks who've bought a low-end Asian-import banjo in the last 5 decades have found this type of coordinator rod "under the hood" when they go to adjust their instruments.





These are very simple. The smaller nut next to the rim (that holds the neck in position) should be as tight as it can be. On this particular banjo, a second screw was installed into the heel to try to keep it aligned with the top of the rim -- smart move! Many do not have this and as a result the necks shift around. I highly suggest drilling and installing a "keeper screw" on these.

The big coupler nut in the middle acts as your action adjustment (it forces the neck/rim joint to move). In one direction it will raise action and in another it will lower it. You'll just have to see how it works on your own banjo, as it depends on which threads want to move first!

Comments

Justin said…
Thanks for this! My cheap banjo wasn't matching any of the YouTube tutorials but this one did the trick!
Unknown said…
Yes, like the previous guy said, this is a big help! I’ve got a pieced together Frankenbanjo that needed some tweaking, and I really didn’t know what I was doing until this. It’s already playing better!
Unknown said…
I just purchased a used vintage Kay Banjo and needed to lower the action considerably. None of the available Youtube Banjo coordinator rod demonstrations dealt with the single turnbuckle coordinator rod. I used the available inadaquate information and adjusted the rod with success. The action is much lower and the adjustment was fairly simple if you go slow and check the results of the adjustment often. It would be a public service if you would make a short video for Youtube. Thanks for photos.
Erin Bloom said…
Hi there! I’m in exactly this scenario - I purchased what I think is an Antonio Tsai banjo. However, the rod snapped and I am looking for a replacement. The rod split at the hole where the keeper screw goes into the heel. I can’t seem to find this style anywhere, everything I’m seeing has an L shaped flange, and I assume won’t fit into my neck. Does anyone sell this style of rod? If not, is it possible to drill out the wood on the heel and make space for that L shaped flange? Any help would be great. Thanks so much!