1980s Fender Musicmaster Electric Bass





Update March 2017: I used this bass all the way through my last recording -- a short, surf-y instrumental bit you can listen to here. You can hear it "in context" throughout that.

The earliest this bass could've been made is around 1978, though I think it dates to the very early 80s. The serial number is scratched-out and the neck and neck-pocket numbers are meaningless (for dating) as far as I can tell. It had an original plastic-bobbin Strat-style pickup in it to begin with and the "trans red" color is something I think of from 1979-onwards Fenders.

Anyhow, I bought this bass for myself because -- holy moly -- I was out of a bass yet again. Someone bought my mandobass (it's in a good home, by the way) and I'm not yet anywhere near building mandobass #2 or starting banjo bass #6 (or is it #7?) and I feel naked when the jam comes along and there's not a house bass around to pump out some low-end.

A few years ago I had a Japanese-made Mustang bass which I adored, though I didn't want to spend the big bucks for an original 60s/70s Mustang. Musicmaster basses are plentiful, funky, and fun and share the same short 30" scale and feel of a Mustang bass -- though, unless you're into new-age or punk-y sounds (where it's perfect -- or, for that matter, perfect on a guitar), the guitar-style pickup used on a Musicmaster often doesn't cut the mustard. My other complaint with them is the one-piece plastic pickguard/control plate. They always break near the jack. And my third complaint? Two-saddle bridges. Unless you're going fretless, they can be frustrating intonation-wise.

So -- I was in the market for a Musicmaster that was ready for modding. This is it!


My "renovation" of the bass included cutting the pickguard to put in a Mustang-style chromed-metal control plate (the original pickguard, as usual, had a split at the jack area anyway), modding the bridge to take 4 adjustable saddles, a new wiring harness, and a Lace Alumitone "single" pickup to replace the original Fender unit.

The Alumitone pickups are hot, quiet, and have expanded frequency response -- more highs and very deep lows -- which turned-out to be perfect for this application. I can get that Mustang bass "thump" by dialing-down my tone control, I can get a Motown "mwah" with it set in the middle, and I can get an aggressive tone that sounds great for flatpicking with it dialed all the way open.

If you're listening to the soundclip -- yes, there are a fresh set of LaBella flats on it.



The neck is perfectly straight (in fact, I should probably add a bit of relief) and the frets were in good-enough shape to escape a fret level/dress when it came in. The nut width is the full 1 11/16" like on a P-bass.


If you look carefully, you can see the "dish-out" for truss-rod access at the butt of the neck. I deepened it a little from what a previous owner had added, blackened it, and then put some finish so it matches the rest of the guard a bit better.


The Alumitone is certainly stylish, huh? I like the look. It's absurdly lightweight, too.


To get the control plate to fit, I actually had to add a bit of wood back into the control cavity to get a grip for that last mounting screw near the jack. It was a little tricky, but I'm so very glad to have some metal on here. I hate it when a plastic jack-plate breaks on you that one time you're not careful with the cable. Ew.


The new saddles are slightly oversize for the original bridge, though they work perfectly well. I had thoughts of just installing a Mustang bridge, but I like the smaller footprint of the original Musicmaster one.



The trans-red looks darn good on the ash (?) body.


Decades of use have also worn the original tuners into a smooth-operating state.



Comments

Unknown said…
Hi there, I'm thinking of doing the same bridge mod on my wife's Musicmaster bass. Could you please send me any details about how you did it? Was it as simple as drilling two extra holes and ordering 4 saddles?

Thanks!
Jake Wildwood said…
That's exactly right, yup.