c.1930 Unmarked Banjo Ukulele


Here's a rough-around-the edges fellow with everything in the right place: great tone and great playability. Except for one hook and the tailpiece, it's all-original, too. The vintage Grover bridge is from my parts box and I've recut it for uke string spacing... which unfortunately most banjo-ukes lack because the manufacturers simply use stock bridges with narrow tenor banjo spacing (I recut all my bridges for better spacing when I set banjos up).


Old warrior of a head: I've patched it at the 10 o'clock position where there were two tiny holes. It's quite stable and at good tension. I hate to throw away an old head for no reasons... they have "that sound."


Headstock is nice with nice fancy Champion pegs. New plastic nut -- which I rarely use, because I favor wood or bone, but I had one handy that was almost the right size for cutting down.


Nice old thin two-foot maple bridge gives plenty of power.


The 16th fret is missing along with a bit of fretboard. The rest isn't going anywhere, but I couldn't decide whether to replace this bit or just leave it. For playing it's nice because the 15th fret is a natural place to leave off... for looks... I figured leaving it doesn't harm this player's banjolele's appearance.


Ebony or dyed pearwood board. Can't remember. I'm leaning towards dyed.


Side view. Finish isn't in bad shape for being so thoroughly rusty and grimy when it got here.


Tuners polished up well and function nicely. The 3-piece neck looks good, too.


Heel. Rim has some nice inlay bands.


This hardware was really, really gross when it came in. Very tarnished, grungy, and not at all desirable. It's shaped up pretty well. I like the significant nuts on these hooks.


Back view. Resonator plate.


Tuners again.



The resonator backplate is in the worst shape: the lamination is missing on the left edge and it's coming up a little bit on the inside lip in the same place. Nevertheless, it hardly matters, as the backplate does its job of pushing the sound out the sides just fine. I actually prefer this uke as an open-back anyhow -- it has a great banjo-ey old-time sound, not piercing, not too tubby, but not quiet either. It has an ebony or "ebonized" rim foot, too, so with the resonator off it looks hot to trot as well.


Side.


New end bolt and tailpiece. Ironically, I've knotted on the no-knot!

Comments

johnb1 said…
Thanks for the great pics! It helped me to identify an old sovereign banjo ukelele that I picked up for $15.00 at a storage container auction.
John B said…
yes - this is identical to a Sovereign a friend of mine has, and also several un-marked Oscar Schmidts that I've seen over the past couple of months. Schmidt marketed this model under both the Sovereign and Stella names.
Unknown said…
Thanks for your great post, Jake. I just picked up a Banjolele 'very' similar to this one. It has a 'Varsity trade mark' sticker on the back of the headstock. It is missing the nut, strings and bridge. The tail piece is for 5 strings? The worst of it is the head is torn from side to side and very dirty with a red marker smudge. It has no resonator, but not screw holes either, as though it was removed.
My goal is to make it playable and keep it, but I don't want to hurt the value by 'cleaning' it up too much. The banding is rusty from hand oils but could be buffed out. How much cleaning should I do? I'm afraid that the head would tear again if I tried to 'repair' it (whatever that means) and put it under tension again.
I appreciate any advise you can give me. If photos would help, we can arrange that.
Thank you Jake.