Echo Harps, Gut Strings & a Violin

This post is a bit of a mix of things I've been focusing on today. First off, I just finished off cleaning and polishing these two vintage Hohner Echo Harmonicas and they sound tops! These are probably c.1950s or so and I'm quite pleased with them. I'm going to be holding on to the smaller harp and putting the bigger one in the store. Both are keyed for C and also G. I was surprised to find out that a new copy of the smaller one is about $80 and a new copy of the larger is about $100. I'm just happy that I won't have to stuff two harps in my case now!

Fun relief and stamped decoration.

Typical Hohner advertising...

Here was another grab from the 'bay: a box full of a bunch of unopened vintage gut strings for uke. Not only do I get some nice decoration but now I can keep some of these vintage ukes truly "period" all the way!

Packets...

This package rocks. Fiddle E strings were often used for uke Gs and As.

Of course, a hula girl adorns this packet.

Tonk Brothers box.

And a National steel string for banjo uke.

Here's a "before" shot of a fiddle I'm just about done with for a customer.

It's a typical German-built student model from the 1910s or 1920s and the owner has a pretty decent hard case to go with it. The bow will need to be rehaired elsewhere, however.

Pretty worn maple (or pearwood?) fingerboard.

Back. Usual scratches.

And here it is during setup! I've repaired some seam separations and reglued the previously repaired top crack, as well as the usual cleanup and resto.

Front.

Pegs: I think these should probably be replaced if it's going to be used extensively as they're getting too dried out and are prone to sticking.

Still worn board but looking healthier.

Finish cleaned up a bit, too.

Side.

Nice subtle flame on the back.

And there it is in detail.

Overview.

I had on hand this old c.1900 bridge marked Dresden. Sounds pretty decent to me, though I'll probably be shaving it just a little more than I have already.
Comments