c.1925 Regal Tenor Guitar (another one!)


It's not often that I sell an instrument and then get to take pictures of it after the fact. Fortunately for me, this one is owned by a lovely musical couple who surprised me by bringing it back to the shop one day for a photo shoot! And to top it off, have a second example of the same instrument in the space of two posts...! This one is the sister of this guitar mentioned earlier and shares the same design specs: lightweight, birch back, sides & neck, spruce top, and super tone. Whereas its sister is more sparkly, this one is rich and warm and sweet. It really opened up with all the years of play it has evidenced!


Tuners are new 4:1 ratio planetaries in places of the missing friction pegs.


Fretboard and neck are perfectly straight and true. MOP dots.


Bound top and back with black celluloid binding. Original tailpiece and original ebony bridge.


Soundhole has the typical Regal-style multicolored herringbone ring (which I think is a really nice touch on their line of instruments from this time). Check out that pickwear! Righteous!


Ebony and bone bridge.


Back.


Pegs.


Tight heel.


When I was working on this guitar, the back was split wide open in parts, and I had to get it all nicely back together. Fortunately, the patient was willing!


Original tailpiece.


And here's our Mr. Terrapin cat, seriously enjoying luxury on his oak "throne" in front of the pellet stove. He's my 2nd in command... really helps me out with dispatching loose string ends.

Comments

Can I ask a question? Why didn't you touch the headstock overlay? On the photographs, it looks as if it's peeling away...
It wasn't peeling at all, but veins of it were missing from deterioration. There's not much I could do about that, except perhaps fill in the missing sections. It would've probably been nicer just to cut a new veneer for it, but then you lose to the inlaid celluloid Regal logo.