For the banjo player...?

I was leafing through old SS Stewart Banjo & Guitar Journals when I spotted this bit of trivia in the "Correspondent's Column" of one of them. I love that, 120+ years ago, SS Stewart gave the same response I give to people asking me about banjo bridges... though I suggest thin film (transducer pickup style) removable adhesive for the bottom of bridge feet. Here's the quote:

"A.C.F. Writes: 'I enclose 12 cents, for which please send me two of your maple bridges, if you can tell me about how high bridges should be for my banjo, a description of which I gave you in a former letter.'

"ANSWER.--No one can tell just how high a bridge should be without seeing the instrument it is intended for. The height of a bridge depends upon the pitch of the neck, and upon the taste of the performer. If a bridge is too high, it should be lowered by rubbing the feet upon a flat surface of sand paper, after which a little rosin dust may be rubbed on to prevent slipping."

Comments