c.1970 Giannini Baritone Ukulele




Giannini (made in Brazil) baritone ukes are well-regarded and for good reason: they sound great and (after a good setup) play well, too. They're loosely based on the Martin baritone uke body shape and bracing though most of the ones I've come across (like this one) are laminate. Supposedly there are a few solid-wood ones out there, though. Either way, I like the rugged build of the Gianninis despite their light and resonant bracing. It's kept many of them in rotation where other baris would have been worn out by the years.

Work on this fella included installing a new saddle, a fret level/dressing, cleaning, and setup. It's strung with a regular Martin flurocarbon bari set. It's sweet, warm, mellow, and particularly well-suited to fingerpicking or light strumming.


The body is all made from laminate mahogany with light ladder bracing. Both the bridge and the fretboard are rosewood and the dots in the board are plastic.


Original nut and decent friction pegs, which don't seem to be original.


Brass frets. The action is low and quick -- 1/16" at the 12th on the treble and a hair below 3/32" on the bass. Spot on.


The simple rosette is pleasing.


Nice rosewood bridge.



This uke definitely shows playwear throughout but it's in pretty darn good shape. No punctures or cracks but there's finish chipping along the edges which is to be expected.


The neck is one-piece mahogany and has a fast, comfortable C profile.




Good heel join.



Cute label in the soundhole.

Comments

QuirkMuseum said…
Hi, I have one in similar condition that I'd like to sell. Any idea what they're worth? I was thinking around $100?
Anonymous said…
I have one too, I would love to find another one. You can reach me at zimcitykelly@gmail.com if you choose to sell yours

Anonymous said…
I have one exactly like this
Looking to sell. jckersh1@aol.com
Unknown said…
I inherited one from my Portuguese aunt, born in Hawaii around 1919.
It's serial # is 344. Is that any indication of it's age?
Unknown said…
I inherited one from my Portuguese aunt, born in Hawaii around 1919.
It's serial # is 344. Is that any indication of it's age?
higpicker said…
I also have one but one of the tuners is mismatched and could use a little TLC. I live in Reno, NV if anyone is interested.
Unknown said…
This is a very recent post compared to all of the others I have read. I am looking to buy a baritone or even a tenor Giannini instrument.
Unknown said…
I have one in fair shape that I'm willing to sell. Its older than the one pictured. It has updated tuners
Unknown said…
I am interested on purchasing a Giannini Baritone in good shape.
Unknown said…
I have a Gianni baritone in very similar shape to the one above except everything is original. I am looking to sell it. Thanks
RC of SF said…
There is one Giannini bari for sale on shopgoodwill . Com.