Ephemera: String-M-Up Band (c.1900)


This picture: another eBay lift -- and inscribed "Monroe Ft. Sheridan" on the back. Anyone have an idea? The instruments look to date around c.1890-1900 and that guitar is unusually large for its day (and, presumably, gut-strung like the banjos behind it).

In other news: I spent most of the day trying to get back to lots of emails. If I missed you, please re-send word to me!

In yet other news: there's a slew of cool (banjo) ukes coming as well as a fun sunburst Harmony-made Vogue-style mandolin, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know about the "Monroe" part - must be related to the M's on all their shirts - but Fort Sheridan was on the shore of Lake Michigan, just north of Chicago. The guitar player seems to be wearing army boots, so maybe a camp band? The mandolin player on the left appears to be sitting on a sheepdog, so I don't know what that's about.