Workshop: National Trojan


I'm nearly done with this 30s National Trojan as I post this but I figured I should include some in-process shots to describe some unique features of these guitars. Above is the soundwell which is similar to the ones in metal-bodied Nationals save that it's cut from wood and glued to the underside of the top!

This is fine but over time any unsupported area will likely come unglued. On this guy the middle of the well is supported by that giant brace that runs through the guitar from endblock to neckblock but I also added a couple of oak dowel posts (friction fit and set with a drop of Titebond) to support the edges. This does nothing tone-wise but it does ensure that the well won't have issues over time. They're also easily removable... just wiggle them out.




After resetting the neck and shimming up the void-space in the joint with triangular rosewood wedges, it's time to re-install the fretboard extension. In this case I had to take it off because it had a slight "ski jump" effect at the end that needed to be mitigated.

The only reason I'm showing this picture is because it explains to me why this particular Trojan doesn't have a warped neck (they almost all do as Harm didn't laminate them and cut them too thin) -- and that's because Harmony installed a non-adjustable steel rod in this neck like on their later guitars. Sweet!


The cone is pretty typical...


...but the biscuit has been riveted to the bottom rather than bolted or glued. Curious!

Comments