c.2011 Martin D-18P Dreadnought Guitar




I was just about to put postage on this to ship it out to Mr. Alex "down under" in the morning mail when I decided to unpack it and check the setup before doing so. Fifteen minutes later with adjustment at the saddle, truss and nut and... perfection... and then some pictures, a sound clip... and back in the box.

What's not surprising is that it sounds like a D-18. What is surprising... is how good it feels. The D-18Ps have "Performing Artist" necks which are a little shallower (front to back) and a little wider (side to side) with the string spacing at the nut and bridge. Curiously enough this gives them a feel almost like a 30s Martin 12-fret guitar but minus the medium-v shape to the neck. I like it significantly better than an average Martin D-18 neck with the long scale as I don't feel as choked up when I stretch my arm out to play cowboy chords or flatpicking licks.


Solid sitka spruce top... solid mahogany back, sides, and neck... rosewood bridge... and an apparently rosewood fretboard


Bone nut, I believe.


Pearl dots.



The bridge is "vintage modern" with a compensated bone saddle and a "straight" cut to the bridge pin holes. Many newer Martins have the pin holes following the saddle angle but this one does not. During setup I ever so lightly shaved the saddle and added very shallow string ramps to give this thing better back angle... and thus power.



Can't really argue with an "as-new" D-18. It's beautifully built and a looker.





And that's all she wrote. It's a D-18. We all know what they sound like. Yum.

I'd own one if I my arm could stand a gig's worth of dreadnought lower bout but I've come to realize that I can swing 00 at the widest.

Comments