1910s Medio Fino 4/4 Violin


This is a customer's old 4/4 violin that was in for some work. It's a French-made Jerome Thibouville Lamy "Medio Fino" instrument an awful lot like this one. I'd say it probably dates from the 1910s or early 1920s and is a relatively plainly-adorned model -- but boy, it sure sounds good. This one has a fuller sound than the instrument linked-to just above. Woods are standard: spruce over maple -- and also standard issue: they're rather plain. Still, it's built in a sturdy fashion and has a good carve.

Work included gluing on a new (well, vintage parts-bin) ebony fingerboard, some crack repair, replacing tailpiece, pegs, and bridge, and general cleaning and soundpost adjustment/setup. I used my usual John Pearse Mezzo strings on this one and it's well-suited to the sound of those. This is not surprising since most folks were using comparable-tension/voicing gut strings at the time this was made.




New (old bone) nut, too. Note my curious pegs! I cobbled together some vintage, higher-quality uke friction pegs and modified some spacers to make a vintage-looking take on those Grover Champion violin-style friciton pegs. The reasoning is that there's a couple hairline cracks at the A string peg holes meaning that the pegbox would want to split with a normal friction-set wood peg. Because these adjust and apply tension to the side of the wood, I don't have to worry about the repairs to the hairline cracks coming undone.

Also... they hold in tune better and are less fuss than regular pegs. So -- here's to that, too. If they ever slip, all you have to do is tighten the set-screw on the button.


The owner supplied me with a fresh modern ebony replacement board, but after fishing around in my violin necks collection (hah hah) I found this nice old ebony board that looked more official. I glued it up and then fit it and dressed it up. Nice board!



The chinrest is at least old but the tailpiece is a modern 4-fine-tuner composite/plastic unit I had in my bins. It's perfect for a starter on fiddle.


The back is severely plain maple but it gets the job done, no?




I was amazed at how well the neck has remained true in its joint over time.






I'm not sure if the owner included a replacement bridge or not, but I did have an antique (it has $0.50 scribbled on its rear in pencil) Aubert uncut bridge that I cut and fit to the instrument as an upgrade, instead.


New ebony endpin... and nylon tailgut.


And here's one of the two labels...

Comments

Benedict White said…
Hello. Lovely looking violin.

I have just acquired a violin with a small label with just "Médio Fino" written on it.

Sounds good, red varnish.

Apparently an Amati copy.

Any idea how to date it?

Also what strings would you recommend? I am in the UK.