1990s Korean-made Sigma DM-2 Dreadnought Guitar




I've had a positive experience with Martin-sold Sigma guitars (especially Korean ones), so I picked this up when it was offered to me for sale in-store. It's the ever-present DM-2 model which specs out as an all-laminate body with vaguely Martin D-18 appointments and sizing (though the shoulders are a little "softer" in shape). It handles a lot like a modern Martin D with long scale (in this case, 25 5/8") and a thinner, C/V hybrid profile neck shape. After doing work to it (fret level/dress, new bone saddle, new Martin bridge pins, new hand-cut pickguard, good setup) it plays spot-on and easy and has a good, robust tone. It kinda sounds like a crisp new Martin, to be honest!

An all-laminate body is certainly not a bad thing when the guitar that laminate is on is built correctly. In this case, Sigmas nail the design down: well-cut bracing and clean interior work show that off. That lets the very thin laminate top do its job as a sounding-board, and while the tone isn't going to "open up" and bloom like crazy over time the same way a solid-top guitar will, it hardly matters because it sounds good out of the gate. Personally -- I prefer a guitar like this far more than a sloppily-made cheap Chinese guitar with a solid-top. Design is far more important than materials, as far as I'm concerned.

The laminate also deals well with weather: I tuned this up two days ago in a cool, dry house -- took it out today in 90% humidity and tons of heat -- played it out there for a while -- then took it back in here to record a sound clip. Did I need to tune? Nope!


This guitar dates from around 1989-1992. It's very clean for its age with only a very tiny amount of play-wear right at the soundhole edge and a bit of pin-hole nicking at the bridge. It looks like it's "new old stock" from a shop.

My new pickguard (red tortoise) looks a zillion times better than the horrid printed-pickguard material that was on this when it came to me.


While I'm not a fan of the oversize buttons (typical for 90s guitars), the sealed tuners work just fine. This has a 1 11/16" nut width.


The rosewood board is bound and has pearl dots. It's wearing 54w-12 strings and the truss rod functions well with a straight neck.



The new bone saddle and string ramps have given this a lot more power over the dilapidated original plastic saddle that this came in with.






Someone had installed and then removed a strap button in the heel -- so I added a new one from my bins.






Thankfully, there's a whole site about Sigma labels and dating. I had a suspicion that this was an early 90s model, but that site confirmed it.

Comments

zero said…
the top is solid. NOT laminated
zero said…
The Fretboard And Bridge are Rosewood
The Soundboard (top) is solid White Sika
The Sides, back and Neck are Maple
The Saddle, Nut & Pins are Bone
The Scratch plate is A.P.O.S.
These models were made in Korea from 1985 to 1993 (aprox.)
Unknown said…
Mine is an '89. I don't play acoustic much but this one sounds and plays really nice. I string it with .009s. It's very bright. No issues. I wouldn't ever sell it although I don't need it. I got it super cheap used. Sometimes you get lucky.
zero said…
yep.
the sigma japan are in the ballpark of 1.000€
they sound great & if compared to the korean made, there´s not that much of a difference.
I use 12s & it sounds great. recently put mine for sale at:
https://www.guitarristas.info/anuncios/guitarra-acustica-sigma-dm-2b-made-in-korea/884361
the only reason is that a new one has arrived , need money & room...


Unknown said…
Hy
I need advice. I own a Sigma DM-2N guitar (Korea) with a beautiful sound. I'm trying to find out what N means in the end. For the DR-28N and DR35N models, this means that they were made (completed) in the USA in Nazareth. But they were manufactured at a completely different time than my DM-2N. I don't know that other models are finishing in Nazareth, so I can't find the story of this guitar. Does anyone know how I could find out?
The N typically stands for natural, meaning that the the wood hasn't been stained.
Unknown said…
I have a dm1st. Serial number 705077. What age would it be thx
Unknown said…
Hi,
I also own a dm-2 and I also need to replace the saddle. I am just wondering which saddle you mounted on yours?
Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Tony
Dean said…
Hi Jake love your story. Had a Sigma since new. Can't remember what year I bought it. I learned to play (badly!)on it and moved on to playing other guitars (badly) long ago. It's been laying uncovered in my shed for over twenty years amongst various motorbike bits and your story moved me to drag it out. "snap!" Its a DM2 just like yours only I'm a lefty and mine has Grover tuners for some reason. The frets a seriously worn but otherwise it might clean up well... ah just what I need another money pit! Cheers Dean from Oz