1927 Weymann Style 112 Soprano Ukulele




This is a customer's instrument that was in for a number of "below the radar" repairs that weren't obvious when I first picked it up for inspection. The serial dates it to 1927 and it's a very interesting instrument because the whole thing is built a lot lighter (more like a Martin style 0) than I'm used to seeing from Weymann ukes I've handled. As a result (and because of similar construction), it sounds and feels rather like a Martin 0 and that's a very good thing: it's sweet, handles easily, and has a good amount of volume for a soprano.


Work included replacing the "popsicle stick" bridge plate/brace under the bridge (which had come loose, was rattling, and wasn't structurally significant enough), regluing both back braces, patching several hairline cracks, and regluing some seam repairs. There were older (cruddy) seam repairs that were holding-up ok, so I left them as they were since the thin wood of a uke like this tends to split when you're opening up seams again.

I also made a new bone saddle, did a light fret level/dress, added some peg dope to the original wood pegs, and set it up on the dot.


Rosewood nut... and new Martin fluoro strings. I didn't want to use anything heavier-gauge since the construction is absolutely feather-weight.


The rosewood board is a little thicker than your average uke from the time which, to me, is a nice thing. It feels more substantial.



This had its original rosewood saddle in place when it came in, but years of body changing meant it was too low when I strung it back up.









What can I say? It's a quality little devil and very tempting. Good thing I don't own it!

Comments