2000s Copley "Great American Country" Autographed Guitar




I admit it: guitars like this usually don't show up for sale around here, but this one is owned by a local acquaintance who mostly fiddles and wants to let it go. It's a Chinese-made Copley CA-50N -- which means, to layman's ears, a standard-issue all-laminate spruce/rosewood dreadnought (here's a link to the CA-50 and I think the only difference is the addition of faux-pearl trim). In its defense, just like an old lightweight laminate Yamaha, it does have a decent sound for what it is and the "electric" thin-C neck profile will certainly suit modern players' tastes.

The draw, however, is that it was "branded" with the "Great American Country" television logo on the front, signed by a number of modern country stars, and given away as part of some sort of drawing -- so it has the celebrity touch. Among the signatures are: Dierks Bentley, Bryan White, Billy Joe Royal, and Chris Young.


It's in "lightly-used" condition with a few of the signatures a bit rubbed from the picking arm and light scratching here and there around the pickguard.

Otherwise, it looks like it could've been hanging in a shop since new.


A 1 11/16" nut, small and quick C-shaped neck profile, and 25 1/2" scale length are featured.

The neck is "nato" (mahogany-ish stuff) and the board, headstock veneer, and bridge are rosewood.


I didn't give the frets a level and dress but I did adjust the seating of a few of them so I could set this up on-the-dot at 1/16" treble and 3/32" bass action at the 12th fret.














Comments

Cole T said…
Thank you for this. I have had one of these for years, could hardy ever find anything about it. Originally started playing on my dads old guitar which was an old Washburn, beautiful-looking actually, wine red dreadnought. Think he paid $400 for it, all laminate. My grandma always stops at yard sales and one time found the Copley, think she said it was listed at $50 so she had to take it. That was probably 10 years ago now. I figured it was my cheap back up, yet once I started using it I realized it was much easier to play. Also wasn’t entirely sure until I played it in front of multiple people, all of which said the Copley sounded much better than the Washburn. Mines slightly different though, the pick guard is more ‘pointed,’ and the headstock resembles a Martins. It did have some country singers signature on it when I first got it, but I was like 14 and didn’t like country so I erased it (don’t know if that was smart). Brought it to a few luthiers over the years, and often get comments like “that’s a real nice guitar”. Used it ever since as my acoustic