1980s Ovation Celebrity CC67 Acoustic/Electric Guitar





The full, deep bowl, and non-cutaway body of this instrument suggests that -- from a short distance away -- this is a US-made Ovation Balladeer. When you get closer, however, you notice it's a "Celebrity" model -- though this one's on the early side. Its serial number indicates it's a 1979 model, though I have to say I doubt that a bit as these tend to be 80s guitars. Interestingly, unlike most Celebrity models, there's no "made in Korea" (or any country-of-origin) notice on the label itself, though this is almost certainly an import.

While I respect the big bowl and non-cutaway (more tonal depth/power -- one of my favorite "early Jake" guitars was a late-60s Balladeer), the top is a bit more heavily-braced than your average "real" Ovation and it's also laminate. There have also been various muckings-about with the guitar by previous owners, but after regluing/shaving the bridge, a heavy-handed fret level/dress, and a bunch of cleaning and setup, I have to admit that this is playing quite well and sounds a lot better than it should. Work, by the way, was for the grandson of the original owner.




I always liked the folksy diamond-style inlay used on Ovation guitars.



The bridge was an absolute chore -- it was epoxied to the laminate top which caused me some concern, but eventually I was able to get it all up and reglue it back "down pat." To get the action down, I then needed to shave both the bridge and saddle (a pretty common need on old import Ovations) and then put a sealer coat back on the bridge to get it looking at leas half-way "right."

Note that the saddle is now compensated correctly.





Comments

Unknown said…
G'day dude ��

I recently purchased one of these gats. If you look closely at your last photo you'll see to the right of the model number on the label you can just make out the beginning of the word "Made". The words immediately following this are "in Korea". ��
Not a terrible guitar i reckon, do you still have yours?
Unknown said…
I saw the same thing. You say it is not labeled Made in Korea, yet it is easy to see it in the last pic. I have one with a low serial number. 258,xxx
Unknown said…
mine is serial number 1837xx and does say made in korea. my tone and volume and pickup assembly is problematic but i'm looking to replace if available, top finish has cracks
Andy said…
My serial is 065 so what year would this be?