1970s Japanese-made Epiphone 6832 000-Size Flattop Guitar





The 6832 is the earlier (1970-1971) version of the FT-130, so I'll spare you a long-winded description of this guitar, save to summarize that it's 000-size, has a bolted neck with a Gibson 24 3/4" scale length, and and adjustable bridge. In the lap it handles like a Martin 000 but with a more Gibsonesque neck shape (C, smallish) for the time. It's also all-laminate and sounds, well, good for what it is.

Work to get this one up-to-snuff included a fret level/dress, compensation/recut of the saddle, and the big chore of regluing the neck block and upper brace just forward of it. It'd come entirely loose! No wonder the guitar was unplayable when it came in. Anyhow, it's now playing on-the-dot and should have many good years left in it.



The tuner buttons are silly but I kind-of enjoy them. When I did the frets I leveled the zero fret to the same height as the rest of them so it operates properly, now. I also made sure the nut's slots were deep enough to keep nice back-angle over the zero fret.


The board is rosewood and has a 12" radius. The neck itself is mahogany.



I used gauges in-between "lights" or 12s and "custom lights" or 11s to spare the electric-style neck.






Comments

JRB2U said…
I just acquired one of these today, it's in pretty bad shape, no it's in real bad shape. A friend I play with was going to send it to it's final resting place but called me first to see if I'd like a challenge & I had to rise to the occasion. Not sure where to start but it's a pretty little guitar and I'm looking forward to making a go of it. I like what youve done and hope I can do somewhat the same with this. Cheers
JRB2U said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
I just bought one just like this over the weekend. Love the tone, but it has serious intonation issues. Any advice you could give me on how to fix the intonation will be greatly appreciated.
JRB2U said…
Like I said previously mine looked like it had been dropped from a 10 story bldg. But aside from that I installed a JLD Bridge doctor after removing & reinstalling the bridge...It had a major belly & the bridge was sitting at a angle into the sound hole...Also the fretboard extension was angling down slightly into the sound hole, that I had to put a block to give it support and correct the angle. The adjustable saddle was an issue for the intonation so I did away with it by installing a compensated bone saddle into the metal which held the original, also sanding down the height of the metal part to accommodate the extra height needed for the new bone saddle. That included cutting down the adjustment screws. if you'd like pics or info jrbondy@gmail.com