2012 The Loar LH-250-SN Flattop Guitar





This was just in for a setup, so treat this as -- basically -- a review. Loar touts this guitar a a "vintage-style small body guitar," but it's actually almost a 000 with a 14 3/4" lower bout width. Looks-wise it also apes old 30s Gibson products and even has a bigger, wider nut width which is in the same realm as them. Where it diverges from "golden age" acoustics, however, is in the stout (1950s-style) x-bracing and the long 25 1/2" scale length which gives it much more of a modern, snappy, driven vibe. It's punchier because of it and has a tighter, more-crisp bottom-end because of it, too. I suppose it's a bit more "OM" and less "L-00."

At first I wasn't too enthusiastic about the tone, but it appears to be quite a directional box and when I got it into a smaller room and in front of the mic I said, "ah-hah, not bad." For a sub-$500 guitar, the model offers a lot... though just like any new guitar in that bracket, it has a feel that's a little clumsy in the neck's shape -- just like the mid-grade old 30s guitars it resembles -- and the finish is the usual bright, glossy, not-100%-beautiful stuff that the vast majority of import guitars come with. I find the long scale to be disorienting on a guitar of this style (it feels a bit pushed-out past the body), but I'm sure most folks who are coming from a modern dreadnought will feel right at home.

Still, all that aside, for the price it's hard to argue with the features and the solid wood throughout its build (spruce over mahogany).




The rosewood fretboard is bound and radiused and has medium-size frets.


I like the simple rosette's nod to the past.


The "ebonization" of the rosewood bridge, however, is something I never preferred on the "quoted sources" (ie, Kalamazoo and Gibson 30s products).




18:1 Grover Sta-Tite tuners are an excellent choice. If the manufacturer made these in a relic'd or satin finish I would be all over these for retrofitting to old guitars.


Comments

Unknown said…
I picked up and played a recording king , ro6 slott head 12 frett .
Th out it was a 3k guitar in 2010 , never had heard of recording king , can't find one anywhere.
Same thing happened two weeks ago with a ago with a liar 216 16 .
This one is mine .
Thought it was a much more $ .
Sounds plays great .music is not my hobby it's my living ..
350 bux
Unknown said…
I used to be a guitar snob , till I realized most , not all guitar snobs can't play..
Unknown said…
I would like to have a prewar or 40s instrament , for investment reasons only . to leave to my children.
Who drives their mint 40 ford to work 5 days a week ..
Unknown said…
No 216 no
12 frett
Great in every way
A beautiful dark sound , a thumper, perfect to sing with ..
Would not sell for 3k