Workshop: EB Mini-Humbucker in P-Bass Neck Position



Ever wonder what one of those Gibson EB-style mini-humbucker pickups (intended for bridge position) might sound like in a P-Bass at the neck? Now you don't have to wonder -- check out the video above.

I was looking for a thumpier alternative to the awesome P-tone on this Tokai (as I love playing flats and flats love thump) but didn't want to go all-in on a giant mudbucker or spend for a fancy boutique pickup. These are available and made by Gotoh (as I recall?) for something like $27. I'm happy -- the bass is happy -- and it's already tracking with the new little fella. I do have to get around to fixing the out-of-phase in the middle position -- but I usually never play in the middle on anything, so it's not a big deal for me.

Comments