1960s Harmony Baritone Ukulele




All Harmony baritone ukes blend together for me, these days, as I've worked on so many of them. I'm sharing this fella (it's a customer's instrument) as I have it strung GCEA (re-entrant) in "normal" uke fashion rather than "normal" baritone uke fashion. This is achieved through using Aquila Nylgut 5-string banjo strings minus the lowest string and using the "drone" 5th string for the G. Alternately, the lowest/biggest string can be put in place of the 5th/G in this set to make a low-G stringing set. It's a two-fer.

This one is a mid-'60s model and while it'd seen some "service" in the past, it badly needed a neck reset and fret level/dress to "remove" warp in the neck. It was otherwise pretty clean. After that work, I also installed some freebie parts-bin guitar-style tuners from around the same era so that the owner wouldn't have to fuss with friction pegs anymore. While I prefer the '50s Harmony baris, this one does have a good, chimey tone and it plays spot-on.

Specs are: 19 3/8" scale (fretting is slightly inaccurate), 10" lower bout, 7 3/8" upper bout, 3 3/8" side depth at the endblock, 1 5/16" nut width, 1 1/16" string spacing at the nut, and 1 5/8" spacing at the bridge. Action is 1/16" at the 12th fret.

Woods are: solid mahogany body, mahogany neck, and rosewood bridge and fretboard. Aside from the tuners, it's all-original.


One funny note is that Harmony blew the string spacing at the bridge -- some strings are too close together and some too far apart. I nudged the spacing via small slots in the saddle, though, to make it feel right.




Comments

Ron T said…
Hello, Thanks for the article. I have one just like it and it needs a neck reset too. It plays and sounds good but I am used to super high action. I was thinking of trying to do it myself as I have my old Yamaha FG200 that needs one too and I thought I might tackle the uke first .. Can you tell me the type of joint it has?