Musings: Oh Sheesh & Lovely Toys

I have toys to share but the world conspires against me -- rain for days or busy-ness until nightfall have kept my camera shy and my soundclips-recording-capabilities dry from tiredness. I've been trying to post about a '55 J-50 for days but every time I got to the mic with it I heard just the tiniest rattle from somewhere. Three hours of persistent searching and three more attempts to record yielded sifting through old repairs and the revelation of tiny ends of loose braces here and there.

If you're like me and you've come to the "conclusion" of a project that many times, the third time is just about when you want to pitch that project into the fire. Fortunately, it's sussed-out and can get shared really soon. Big old Js always make me excited.

Other neat projects lately included rehab on an 8-course lute, the trade-in of a small reed organ, while-you-wait full repair of an amazing, late-model Regal Octofone (with which Regal fixed almost all of their design flaws) as well as an 1890s Bay State concert guitar, and a horde of 1880s/90s banjos making war (and love) on my bench. All save the lute and Bay State will get some air-time on the blog.

I also sprang for an old pedal steel which I eagerly await. That'll be a nice brain-teaser. A friend said: "Do you even know HOW to play that?!" -- of course not!!! That's the point, right? To be like a child again and full of wonder?

Next week I will not be here during Tue-Thur hours as I'm supplying music for local theater. I'll still be available Friday and Saturday, however, as far as I know. So -- if you're planning to head out, call first! 

Comments