Review: Roland JC-22 Amplifier (Direct Out Sound)




There are plenty of glowing reviews on the web for this portable (~20lb), wide-sounding, loud, and clean little solid state amp, but I just wanted to give folks an idea of the line out (direct out, DI) sound off the back of it. That's what you're hearing in the clip above -- direct into my audio interface via the left (mono) output. I clip the meters a little bit here and there so ignore that -- it's my fault for not paying attention while recording it.

Simply put -- if you're playing clean and perhaps use pedals for your dirt, this is a great little amp. I've been playing a lot of only-clean lately and this does that in spades and has a 3-knob EQ section, great-sounding onboard reverb, and a stereo chorus that sounds lovely (though I barely ever use chorus) in its own right. It seems a little pricey for a solid state amp of this size until you actually hear it in person -- the speaker layout and guts give it a very wide sound and the volume cranks painfully-loud in a smaller room anywhere past 12 o'clock.

Did I mention it's lightweight and you won't need to tote a reverb pedal around? Yesssss...

Comments