1930s Hohner 2-Row Bb/Eb? Fancy Button Accordion




This is about the bling-iest 2-row (well, 2-row plus sharp/flats) Hohner I've had through the shop. I'm very much a hack button accordion player but I enjoy pulling them out for bonfires, random parties, and sitting around on the porch grinning like an idiot. This not-quite-in-tune but playing-ok-ish box is, thus, perfectly adequate for that. However, to play with other instruments and to suit an actual player it will need going-through -- retuning of the reeds and setting a few of them better in their plates, any tightening-up of the bellows than can be done, and probably valve work.

A fellow knocked on our shop door this morning during breakfast (Sunday callers!) and I bought this off of his shotgun seat. The bellows are decent, the action on the buttons is comfortable, and -- well -- those rhinestones, actual pearl buttons, and green trim over the creamy-yellow pearloid sure make it easy on the eyes, too... at least my eyes!

My only work was to clean it up and replace a few missing screws and whatnot on the fittings. The two rows seem to correspond to  a somewhat-flat Bb/Eb but I'm not sure as I haven't tried to play with anything else, hah hah. The third row is for accidentals.

It's slick box, though. The melody side has 3 sets of reeds that can be engaged as you see fit as well as another lever that suppresses a set on-the-fly independently. The bass side also has a loud/quiet setting (as far as I can tell). I keep it on "quiet" because this box is loud.

At any rate, if anyone knows what this model is (it's similar to a Club... but not really), please let me know.







Comments

Rob Gardner said…
Well, I'm getting out my Polka-dancing shoes...

Love those rhinestones. What a great little box. You will be quite a sight dressed in your Lederhosen sitting on your front porch playing those dancing tunes...