1940s 1x10" Metal Speaker Cab



This cool, thicker-steel, 1x10" speaker cab is on the smaller side (12x12x8ish") but is both rugged and sounds pretty decent, too. I bought it off of a fellow in Maine on eBay as it was packing a late-'40s Jensen Alnico speaker in it and it's just the right size to use with a tiny, 5w tube head I've been using.

I had to pull the old Jensen speaker out, unfortunately, due to its dire need for a recone. In its place I've installed a random Vox 10" that came out of an AC4TV I used to own. This setup sounds good but quite midsy, so I'm hoping to swap-over to a bigger-sounding speaker in the future.




Here's the cab with the mentioned Wangs Mini 5 tube amp head up top. It'd be pretty tempting to actually install the head in the rear of the cab and put some sort of handle on top to make it extra-portable.

Comments

Scott Lynd said…
THIS WAS THE SPEAKER FOR A HAMMARLUND HQ-120 & 129X SHORT WAVE RECEIVER...black for the HQ-120
gray for the 129x...
http://ai4fr.com/main/page_ham_radio_hammarlund_speakers.html
https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/HQ120.html

I've had my HQ-129x for 55 years, but it wasn't until almost 20 years later I was able to find the matching speaker--pre-internet days, of course, and they were rather scarce even then.