1950s Fretted Suzuki 4/4 Fiddle/Violin




Mr. Joel T sent-up a couple of box-o-parts fiddles a while back and this is one of them. Yes, I kept it for myself. While this doesn't have a label, I'm almost certain it's a Suzuki-made fiddle from the '50s or '60s as it has a "Made in Japan" mark and is more-or-less identical to a Suzuki-marked fiddle I had a few years ago. I really liked that violin, but because I play the instrument so infrequently I get pretty rusty on them and so sell them off.

I have a couple of shows that require some fiddling so I thought it was a good excuse to bring one of my intellectual instrument-modding goals (a nicely-fretted violin) to fruition. I dug around in my parts pile until I had the fittings all sorted-out and then set to work putting this in order.

Work included: a neck reset, popped-seam reglues, new soundpost (I used cedar), replacement (vintage) tailpiece, '60s Japanese guitar-style tuner install at the headstock, new bone nut, new tall fiddle bridge, general cleaning and setup, and of course the fretting and side-dots install on the board itself. I used "banjo" frets -- like "vintage" mediums in heft. They're a little bigger than you might expect and I like that about them -- one can get nice vibrato techniques with them and even a little sitar-like bending if desired. I think the mass and precision of the frets gives the instrument a lot of its clear-and-open upper-register voice.

Scale length: 12 3/4"
Nut width: 7/8"
String spacing at nut: 11/16"
String spacing at bridge: 1 3/8"
Lower bout: 8 1/4"
Upper bout: 6 1/2"
Side depth: 1 1/2"
Body length: 13 7/8"
Top wood: solid spruce
Back/sides wood: Japanese maple (figured)
Neck wood: maple
Fretboard: ebony w/streaking
Bridge: maple
Nut: bone
Weight: 1 lb 2 oz

Condition notes: minor wear and tear throughout, lots of minor scratches, and of course it's totally modified...


I went without a chinrest because I've taken-up playing the instrument lower on my arm/belly area. I'm still getting used to the adjustment but I think in the end I'll be happier with playing fiddle if I stick with it.


The '60s tuners are hideous and even more hideous because I cut them down so much, but I like to reuse as much random material as possible if it sort-of fits the vision. It would've been a bit more slick to use Gotoh Stealth tuners, though, wouldn't it?






The figured Japanese maple on the rear of the instrument almost looks like figured mahogany at a glance.




Comments

Oscar Stern said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oscar Stern said…
Geared tuners are far more Ergonomic than Friction Pegs due to how much easier they turn, so it really would make everybody happy. You can get away w/ a String Winder for faster string changes.
Oscar Stern said…
It reminds me of these 19th Century Tuning Machines for Violin, Viola, & Cello:https://www.hangoutstorage.com/fiddlehangout.com/storage/attachments/archived/photos/large/24/2481-1373541682018.jpg that are super cool. The Friction Tuners are 1:1 Gear ratio, the Planetary/Wittner Geared Tuners are a 4:1 Gear Ratio, but these ones are a 14:1 Gear Ratio which is way more accurate meaning that the instrument will look & sound more "Ergonomic". Lots of people are choosing Geared Tuners these days due to how much more accurate they are. The Yamaha EV-204 & EV-205 have those Guitar style Geared Tuners rather than the traditional Friction Pegs (which also explains why there are no fine tuners on the Tailpiece) because they look super fantastic. So Friction Tuners for Tradition, Planetary Tuners for Style (and as an Ergonomic replacement for traditionalists), & Guitar/Bass Style Geared tuners for Reliability, Practicality, & a much more Ergonomic look & sound (like in that advertisement).
Oscar Stern said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oscar Stern said…
Jake Wildwood these Guitar Machine Heads are quite a big hit & they point down from the Headstock at a 90 Degree Angle so it's really cool.
Oscar Stern said…
These tuners also put the strings at a sharper angle over the nut to help them seat better.