1957 National 1155 (Gibson J-50 Body) Slope Dreadnought Guitar



Update 2022: My pal Rob's letting this one go (he got the itch for something fancy) and so I've updated the post and video...

After playing a customer's 1155 in the shop, my friend Rob became a little obsessed with the model because he bought one off of eBay soon after and reported that it was headed here for a bit of care and feeding. I get it! -- I think these guitars are downright awesome for old-school strum-n-funning. They feature the cool, adjustable-neck-angle National Stylist necks mated to (mostly) choice 1950s Gibson J-50 bodies. I've explained it before, but National and Gibson shared the same parent company at the time and so Gibson supplied National with bodies for some of their nicer acoustic and electric hollowbody models at the time.

I think he really lucked-out with this one, though. The Gibson factory order number puts the body at 1957 which is probably when it was put together. The neck has a 1950 Valco serial number on it but it clearly isn't from 1950. The soonest I see this style of National headstock is from 1953-54 or so, if my fuzzy brain recalls correctly. I say he lucked-out because the bracing and top thickness is just about perfect in that flat, thin, taller mid-'50s Gibson style of bracing. It's not over-thick so the top gets a good, clean, hefty bass but the mids and highs are quite present and jumpy. I like!

Repairs included: a fret level/dress (it'd been refretted up to the 14th but not super-well), saddle-slot and bridge pin-hole fill/recut to move them all aft, one hairline crack re-repair/cleat to the top, minor pickguard reglue job, new bone saddle and reprofiling of the replacement bone nut, and a good setup. Since this earlier work, I've also installed a K&K Pure Mini pickup and the owner swapped-out the original (poorly-functioning) tuners with Gotoh relic'd replacements of the same type.


Top wood: solid spruce

Back & sides wood: solid mahogany back, ply hog sides

Bracing type: x

Bridge: rosewood

Fretboard: rosewood

Neck wood: magnesium core, mahogany shell/veneer

Action height at 12th fret:
3/32” bass 1/16” treble (fast, spot-on)
String gauges: 54w-12 lights

Neck shape: medium-bigger C/V soft

Board radius: ~10"

Truss rod: non-adjustable

Neck relief: straight

Fret style: medium-lower


Scale length: 24 5/8"

Nut width: 1 5/8"

Body width: 16"

Body depth: 4 7/8"


Condition notes: one repaired hairline crack to the top-lower-bout, several long, deep, with-grain scratches in the top (not cracks), and mild usewear... but overall very clean for its age. The past owner reglued the bridge and filled the holes where the 4 original bolts would've been installed in it. Someone also filled some nail-divots in the fretboard with who-knows-what! At least it's rosewood-ish in color. The neck is straight, it has remained stable in service while I've known it the past 3 years while wearing 12s, and the adjustable neck gizmo works perfectly.

It comes with: a hard case.






















Comments

Rob Gardner said…
Well, I had been kicking myself in the butt for some time for not buying that first National when I originally saw it in your shop. It had really kind of gotten under my skin, with that big thudding Gibson sound and cool rockabilly neck, but I dithered and wavered and somebody else bought it. So I kept my eye out for another one and finally along it came.

Beautiful work on this guitar as always, Jake. And thanks again for providing a guitar university to anyone who is lucky enough to stop by and see what the latest arrival is. I had never seen or heard one of these National/Gibson hybrids before I played it in your shop, though I had heard of their mysterious existence. I’m sorry I didn’t buy the first one and put the money in your pocket in the first place, but this one is a peach, especially after your work on it. Rings like silver shines like gold…
Michael Mulkern said…
Rob,
I'm the guy who grabbed the other 1155 that was in Jake's shop last fall. Had no intention of buying it, but when I sat down and played it for a few minutes, that's all she wrote. Sounded just as good as any J-45/J-50 I've played from that era, but there was something special about the neck. I didn't think I was going to like it, but it felt just right in my hand. A few weeks ago, the action started to get a little buzzy. Happens to my other guitars this time of year. Jake walked me through how to use the neck angle adjuster, and a few minutes later the action was perfect. I play this guitar nearly every day, and couldn't be happier with the look, tone and feel. Hope you enjoy yours just as much!
-MM