Gadgets: Sennheiser Memory Mic



Wireless toys get better and better. The "Sennheiser Memory Mic" is a decent-quality condenser mic that pairs with smartphones or tablets via Bluetooth. In the clip I'm using it with our iPad Pro. While you're recording video or audio it records to itself but once you click "done" it then downloads and syncs that audio it recorded to the video/audio on your device. The huge advantage of this is that it does the sync automatically and so post-editing is eliminated. I hate opening video programs and jumping through hoops so this is perfect.

It's small and really meant mostly for lavalier use, but as you can hear in the clip above -- it sounds plenty-good for instrument recordings on the fly. I will probably be using this (or a USB version of my trusty Sennheiser MK4) for the instrument demos for the near future because it really is a "good enough" solution and much less hassle for me. It certainly won't replace a good studio mic and a genuine interface into a proper computer, but to use it "out in the field" while you're moving your device around and wanting to keep your audio at the source it's pointing at -- this is ideal. You can imagine taking a shot from 100 feet away and moving towards the audio on your track, right? Fun stuff!

And, yes, this is that modified Tokai banjo I was talking about a couple posts back...

Comments

tony klassen said…
No way! What a great sound.
Rob Gardner said…
Oh, I see, revealed at the end of the video. Duh....

I like the sound of that banjo too.