1970s Yamaha G-60A Classical Guitar




I've worked on a ton of Yamaha G-60A model classicals and they've all had a good, full sound. They're not as articulate as your average fully-solid instrument, but they're a lot more practical for a student or intermediate player and even now they're kicking the tails off comparably-priced "student" instruments.

This one was just in for a restring and setup for its owner, and after that it plays spot-on with 3/32" action and a good, straight neck. It's lived in its original case its entire life which is why the condition is so good. Usually these have a lot of scratches, bumps, and dings from years of being moved-around houses and stored in kids' rooms. Fortunately, someone cared for this one.

It may be sacrilege, but I don't notice that much difference between Japan-made and Taiwan-made instruments from this period. I think they're pretty-much equally good. Both carry the same excellent design trends of good-quality ply for durability and stability mixed with light bracing for good tone. In the steel string world, the Japanese-made Yamaha products are just slightly warmer and fuller, but guitar-to-guitar age-related differences seem to make more of a change in sound than where they were produced -- at least to my ears.






Comments

Mr.H said…
I've been trying to find a date for my G60A guitar which is identical to this one (even the rosette design). My serial number doesn't match any info I found online. Does the guitar you are showing have a serial number that begins with a "T" and has 7 digits like mine?
Doug in VA said…
I will have a chance soon to play 2 Yamahas to hear and feel the difference. Both were very easy to buy and in good used shape. A G-225 and G60A are from Taiwan and Japan, respectively. The Taiwan guitar sounds pretty good and the action at fret 12 is just at 4mm and 3mm on the bass and treble E strings, respectively... that is the gap over fret 12. Saddle is just about as low as it can go without removing material from the top of the bridge slot and I do not need to do that. I play acoustics and many electrics at 2mm over fret 12.
Having a Cordoba Fusion12 now and once owning a luthier built real classical (Rodriguez in Virginia), I understand and can hear and feel what a real guitar is like. For VERY cheap used, the Taiwan G-225 is excellent and I will soon see if the G-60A matches or beats it.
Unknown said…
I recently inherited my mom’s G-60 and was wondering how to date it. I a pretty sure Yamaha only made this model fro 1967-1969, but there is no date or serial number.
Jake Wildwood said…
Dear everyone -- I'm sorry but I can't help date these for you. The serialization is often confounding. General rule of thumb is that if it says made in Japan it's pre-'70 and if it's made in Taiwan it's '70s into '80s.
Unknown said…
Hi this one says G-60A made in Japan so I will say I love vintage or antique ANYTHING so I'm grateful to have found this one in 2010 at a thrift store in Nashville for 40 bucks. Oddly enough this girl immediately felt like home and hours later after the purchase my grandfather who helped raise us decided not to wake up. I felt full circle had happened so its an unforgettable situationship I have with and toward this gorgeous sounding guitar. SHE has depth but she is so strong.
Bruce Milne said…
I bought mine, second-hand, in early 1972. I still love the sound of the G-60A.
Bill L said…
I have a G-60A (Taiwan) acoustic guitar and I've gone thru the first 3 Hal Leonard guitar books. I'm retired and I am learning fakebook piano and play clarinet, sing in choirs. Not good enough at guitar to play in groups yet.

I have trouble playing barre chords on the G-60A and the nylon strings seem high off the fretboard. I guess my question is (before I buy something else) what do I have? To what does the G-60A compare to in current beginner-intermediate guitars?