1960s Kay K5915 Semihollow Electric Bass Guitar




Local pal Rick has owned this bass since he's been a-bassing as a teenager, as I recall. It's clearly not had many bright days in the sun, however, as it came in with the usual Kay woes -- lots of dirt and grime, a dilapidated pickguard, and a neck badly needing some warp taken out of it via a board plane, refret, and truss-rod jimmying.

These basses are iconic as they were relatively cheap when built and so widely-employed by all sorts of rootsy bands "back in the day." Their short 31" scale length, speedbump pickup, and hollow (more like semihollow, though, really) build means they have a straightforward, tubby, fundamental, and pseudo-upright-ish tone to them. Mixed with a somewhat-narrow, medium-depth/steep-radius-board neck, and you've got an instrument that's just not at all like basses produced by most other makers.

This particular, truss-rodded model was made from the early '60s through about '65, but its basic design is borrowed from a Kay bass style made throughout the '50s. I like how this one has the classic "cheesy Kay" sunburst and the extra-cool checker binding on the top and back edges.

Work included: a fretboard plane, refret with jumbo stock, side dots install, new truss nut (and extender ferrule) install, shielding and extra grounding for the wiring harness, lots of cleaning, and a good setup. It has LaBella flatwound strings in gauges 95w-39w --- the Hofner "Beatle Bass" set with its thinner tuner-side wrap for easy installation on guitar-style tuners. After work the neck is bang-straight and it plays with superb 3/32" EA to 1/16" DG action at the 12th fret.







As is usual for an old Kay, the pickguard is damaged in several places.




The guitar-size tuners aren't original, but their guitar sizing is and they are, at least, older.







Aside from the tuners, the only other non-original parts are two vintage-style strap buttons at the heel and here at the endpin.

Comments

Jim said…
I have one of these too, bought about 1965, always been a great guitar. Any help you can give me about correct string gauge? I am currently trying to sort that out and order a new set of strings. I lost all the electronics maybe 20 years ago (this guitar was loaned to a relative for many years, then spent a lot of time in a closet), but was lucky enough to find a speed bump pickup online, and I put it back together. Had to make my own pickguard though, original part had broken. Good to see another one of these out there!
Unknown said…
This one looks EXACTLY like my first bass guitar - bought in 1965. Traded it in for a Fender Jazz Bass a few years later - wish I hadn't done that!
Jim said…
Yeah, I am glad I still have mine, pick it up once in a while, takes me back 60 years. We have one son who is a musician, imagine it will end up with him... Ahh, I recall playing 19th Nervous Breakdown, Heart Full of Soul, lots of great sixties songs in my high school rock band. Anyone who grew up in the sixties was blessed with the amazing music that was around!
Unknown said…
This is exactly what my first bass looked like and the description of everything is spot on. This was my first bass ever and was second hand from my local music shop in Minot, ND. It was a birthday present while I was in 8th grade in 1968. I still have this bass but it has undergone many transformations. Multiple paint schemes, tuning keys, ratcheting the edges to round out the edges… and a plan for new pickups and electronics. It’s a project piece I’ve had for life. Maybe someday I’ll get it finished and hang it up with all of my other instruments I’ve enjoyed over the years. I’m so glad to have found pictures of one in original condition. It takes me way back…
Unknown said…
I have had mine since 1989. A friend gifted it to me. It's all original except for the D string tuning key. I've been looking for one for years. Love this baby and she plays and records beautifully.