1966 Harmony-made Silvertone 1454 Hollowbody Electric Guitar




Post updated as of October 2020...

This is the coolest Harmony electric that I've ever played. It mixes a pseudo-Gretsch aesthetic with the wonkiness of Harmony wiring -- three on/off switches, tone and volume for each, and three high-output (for the time) DeArmond single coil pickups -- and then adds a Bigsby vibrato to it. Yum-city, hello, darling!

The tone of the DeArmonds is raunchy and, at times, metallic in a good way. They're best run wild through at least a little bit of drive. Even if you play clean, their high output will want to push an amp just to breakup -- the point at which they go mwah.

Like the 1429 that I also just worked on, it was in for sprucing-up to make it more "real." Harmony made some really great gear in the '60s, but all of it (if left stock) needs a healthy dose of work to make them compete with Gibson or Fender equipment in the electric realm.

Work included: a board plane and refret with jumbo, pyramid stock, compensation for 3-wound, 3-plain strings at the bridge, replacement strap buttons, mild cleaning, replacement relic Gotoh tuners, and a good setup. The neck's straight, the truss works, and it plays bang-on at hair-above 1/16" EA and 1/16" DGBE at the 12th fret.

Scale length: 24 1/8"
Nut width: 1 3/4"
String spacing at nut: 1 1/2"
String spacing at saddle: 1 7/8"
Body length: 19 3/8"
Lower bout width: 15 5/8"
Upper bout width: 11 3/8"
Side depth: 2"
Body wood: ply with maple veneer
Neck wood: poplar
Fretboard: rosewood
Neck shape: slim-to-medium C-shape, ~9.5" radius board
Bridge: adjustable rosewood
Nut: plastic original

Condition notes: there's nothing to complain about, here -- it's entirely-original save the strap buttons and tuners -- both of which are better than what was on it. The finish has some wear but it's overall in great shape.











While the new Gotoh relic Kluson-style tuners aren't perfect matches for the originals, they do have the same faded-nickel, metal buttons and fit the same footprint. They're also 15:1 vs 10 or 12:1, steady, and a joy to use. Sorry to stump for Gotoh, there -- but I'll always get behind a product that I actually enjoy putting on an instrument.




Comments

sam herring said…
Hey there, I hate to bug you, but wanted to ask what exact gotoh you put in. I have the same model but the old waverly ones are just shot to hell I think haha. Did you have to drill at all with them? Any help would be appreciated, love your site and love to check your youtube stuff out too.
Jake Wildwood said…
They don't make this set anymore, unfortunately. I loved it because of the nickel buttons. The closest one you can get now are the same tuners with Keystone/LP-style buttons. You can then snip those buttons and put on cream or black for a more-pedestrian look.
McComber said…
Desire. I'm not being encouraged to buy any more guitars currently, but this one keeps coming to mind and I have to listen on the blog daily now. I wish I had had this back when we were playing Replacements covers in high school. I'm tempted to bring in a Samick archtop HJRG 302, my comfortable go-to jazz guitar, for sale. That might get me a reason to try to justify this lovely Silvertone.
Unknown said…
Great blog. I have the same guitar that I bought a couple of years ago. I had one like it in college, when I was playing regularly. I sold the one in college because it needed a lot of work, and I was broke. I was ecstatic to find a replacement. I absolutely love this guitar.