2008 Collings MT2V Carved-Top A-Style Mandolin




Just like every other Collings mandolin I've played, this one is a beaut and it sounds a beast and plays like one, too. A local customer bought this new in 2008 and it has Bill's signature on the label in the bass f-hole. The original sales document is still in the case. This one has stunning birdseye maple on the back and sides and its crisp ivoroid binding and deco aesthetic really, really catch the eye. The upgraded gloss finish doesn't hurt, either.

I saw this one for the first time a year or so ago, when I gave it a quick setup. I was pretty impressed with the tone and handling, then. This time around it's for sale (the owner has progressed to bowlback mandolin as she plays in a classical-style group) and I've done some extra work to it... and now it simply hits the spot right-on.

Work included: a fret level/dress, minor cleaning, and a good setup. The neck is straight, the truss rod works, and it plays with hair-under 1/16" action at the 12th fret (bang-on). Strings are 40w/26w flats for the bass and 14/10 on the treble, currently. It's got a smooth, clean, jazzy tonality with plenty of volume and punch at the moment but I know it would pop like crazy with normal roundwound strings gauged 40w-11.

Scale length: 13 7/8"
Nut width: 1 1/8"
String spacing at nut: 31/32"
String spacing at bridge: 1 9/16"
Body length: 13"
Lower bout width: 9 7/8"
Side depth at endpin: 1 3/4"
Top wood: solid spruce, carved
Back/sides wood: solid birdseye maple
Neck wood: figured aple
Fretboard: ebony, pearl dots
Bridge: ebony
Neck feel: ~12" radius, medium-soft-V profile

Condition notes: it's almost mint save a few flaws -- there was a minor open center seam on the rear-back near the tailpiece (it's been filled but not cleated -- it's stable) and the frets are leveled/dressed but have tons of life left in them. There was only mild wear. One tuner button has a tiny chip out of it (hard to notice) and another has a replacement set-screw on its button (nickel, not gold-plated). Otherwise the finish only shows the lightest of use-wear here and there. It looks like it might've hung in a shop 3-6 months.

It comes with: its original Collings hard case, sales receipt, black strap, and case humidifier.



















Comments

Nick R said…
That sounds great. The only thing harder to play than a mandolin, is a bowlback mandolin! When I play the bowlback I learnt on decades ago, I wonder how I ever got started and managed to persevere! I bought my first flat back- a Suzuki A5 copy after a year or so- and I slowly began to make progress. In fact that mandolin is the easiest I have ever had to play. However, that has not stopped min in a 40 plus year quest to find one that is still easier to play! I think it may be the player -not the instrument!