Review: Ratio Tune-A-Lele Ukulele Tuners



I'd been resisting trying these newfangled, $30 tuners as I really, really love the look and function of Gotoh UPTs. In fact, I have them on almost all of our "house ukes" -- and that's a lot of ukes.

I have to say, though, that these GraphTech 6:1 geared pegs are a lot nicer in person than they look online. Their finish is less-satin and more glossy and they look more in-place than I thought they would. At least they'd look more-or-less at home on most black-buttoned old soprano ukes from the '20s through the '50s.

That's important to me, too, because I'm basically not wanting to sell ukes with friction pegs anymore. My number-one complaint about vintage ukes from folks who buy them is that the original friction pegs suck. It's true. Friction pegs are a nuisance. Even I can't stand dealing with them anymore, and I used to not care at all.

At $30 a pop, I can justify adding these geared guys to cheaper old ukes and raising the price to match. To me, that's a no-brainer. It makes the instrument more functional and fun. In fact: this tiny Ohana had friction pegs on it and I wasn't playing it. I stuck these on it and now I don't mind tuning it up and strumming.

Would I prefer a metallic-looking upper shaft and ferrule? Sure. But at least black doesn't punch you in the face with its presence. Would I prefer a housing that doesn't screw-on but tensions like a Gotoh UPT or banjo peg? Maybe... but they do loosen-up over time.

Comments

Bob said…
That reminds me to ask whether you have any 1920s replacement tuning machines in your parts drawer. I picked up a cracked and roughly repaired soprano uke at auction long time ago and one of the Bakelite tuning machines had crumbled away to nothing. I thought I would replace all four with a set of Grover's, then discovered that the hole and shaft were much thinner than the modern Grover pegs.

If I ever do get up to Vermont it will be one of the trunk full of instruments I bring up for you too look over, take in trade, sell on consignment, fix up, or a little bit of each.
Jake Wildwood said…
Bob, I have tons of old tuners. The black, little bakelite ones with the slightly convex end? While I heartily suggest divesting of them and pretending they don't exist (these Tune-A-Leles will install with a bit slightly smaller than 1/4" if you don't want the ferrule), I do have the parts you're probably seeking around here.
Bricks Page said…
How are these GraphTech tuners holding on after some time? Am thinking getting some of them but a little skeptic perhaps. Thanks for your valuable advice.
Oscar Stern said…
Geared tuners are far more superior than friction pegs because they stay put, & never loosen up. The Guitar style Tuners appear on Concert Sized Ukuleles (and bigger) because they're a little bit bigger & they never slip outta tune.
Unknown said…
I have a 20s Martin style o and I need one black tuning peg. Anybody got one?