Parts: Gibson Mandolin Pickguard, Lots of Tuners





I cleaned-out my parts-bins the other day, reorganized, and figured I'd share some things that might be of interest to folks out there. I'll be plopping them on Reverb soon, but feel free to email me with an offer if you want to snag them before I get to that.

The first is this consigned, original, 1910s-era Gibson mandolin celluloid pickguard. It has no brackets but has the date stamp and one hole near the fretboard extension for the "nail-mount" pin. It's in good order and is a fairly dark, reddy-brown tortoise.






Above is a set of two, bass-side guitar tuners from the 1880s/1890s. These are the weird, shorter-spaced units with the hollow brass shafts and bone buttons.


Above is a tuner set from a Weymann bowlback (or earlier flatback) mandolin. These are the recessed ones that fit into the cut-out back of the headstock -- short shafts.


Above is a set of 4, all-original, 1910s-era Grover Champion banjo friction pegs.


Above is a complete set of fancy-looking, celluloid, 1880s/1890s 5-string banjo pegs. These are right for some old higher-end Supertone models as well as some Lyon & Healy or even SS Stewart banjos. I've had these for years "just in case," but most customers want 4:1 geared pegs except for on nylgut or gut-strung banjos.


Above is one of those weird, 1960s/1970s Grover "Slimline" tuners as seen (mostly) on Martin acoustics. It's a treble-side tuner and works fine but has tarnish.



Above are 3, bass-side, 1930s/1940s tuners of a type seen often on high-end Harmony-made instruments -- usually archtops. Sometimes you see these on nice Kays and Regals, too, under the Oahu brand.


Above is a full set (with one greenish button and not-from-the-original-set) of peculiar 1920s friction ukulele pegs. These are just a shaft with a button and operate like a violin peg, but they fit into a brass ferrule/sleeve that's friction-set into the neck. You're thus tuning-up like a violin (push a little in while you tune up) but they're a lot smoother because the fit is metal-to-metal and precise.


Above are 1920s/1930s-era Italian mandolin tuners with shorter shafts.

Comments

Brandon McCoy said…
I have a 1915 Gibson A-1 and I could use that mandolin pickguard. Send me an email? Thanks! -BNM-
Nick R said…
I have a 1940 Harmony Monterey tenor guitar. The tuner buttons on the bass side have crumbled. I replaced them with plastic tuners buttons that I then filed to shape and painted silver. My guitar expert asked me why I had not made a mould and cast metal buttons- having melted down an old toy car? The answer is, I am not him! These tuners were called Waverly Tune Rite.

How much do you want for two tuners? I have to admit my job works fine but it is worth asking!