2003 Carr Slant 6V 1x12" Tube Amp




A consignor brought this killer, lightly-used Carr Slant 6 in just the other day. It's very clean with the exception of its missing the nameplate badge that would've been over the grill and the reverb tank is replaced. I guess someone wanted a more "classic" look in regards to the nameplate. I agree with that decision... I like clean looks myself.

He brought it in for resale, basically, because it was too much amp for the lower volumes he was playing at. Point blank -- even though this has two "reduced power" modes available via a switch on the back, it's not going to do that "5-watt low volume recording" thing. This is an amp that's fairly hefty in the volume department by the time you get it to "2" on the volume knob.

That said, the gainier side of the amp does have a master volume knob which really helps dial-in thick, honest-to-goodness, tube-saturated sound at lower volumes. This amp would be perfect for the average gigging musician -- it can be screaming-loud at full power or practical/smaller-show loud set in lower power modes -- and it records easily.

The clean channel sounds absolutely gorgeous and it's very Fendery in feel and response. That's mated to a long-spring tank (which has been upgraded over the original to one that doesn't have feedback at the drop of a hat) that sounds lush and full and turns-up all the way into watery/deep-pool surf vibes and beyond.

The drive channel (with its top-boost-y switch) takes you anywhere you want to go -- from a bit of grunt and chug to full-on fuzzed-out, wooly, sizzly goodness.

It's all point-to-point and handwired, too.

When I was shopping-around for my new "guitar demo" amp, I'd ruled options out down to ToneKing and Carr. I went for TK, ultimately, because of the built-in attenuator that drops the volume very low. This is something I don't necessarily need for recording or playing myself, but I do need it for folks who like to be low-key while testing stuff out in the shop.









The power cable is super-heavy-duty.




The footswitch simply changes channels.



Those are extra fuses in the ACE packet.

Comments